Minutes of the Surry County Committee of Safety
Surry County (N.C.). Committee of Safety
Volume 10, Pages 254-255
[From MS. Records in Office of Secretary of State.]
Proceedings of the Safety Committee in Surry County.
Thursday Septr 21st, 1775.
Committee met according to Adjournment.
Rules of Committee.
Resolved, That Every person keep their Seats.
2. And when they make a motion they shall rise up and address the Chn.
3. And that he shall put the Question and the Votes be taken.
4. Only one to speak at a time.
5. And if one makes a motion and not Seconded for it not be Noticed.
-------------------- page 255
6. And that no member of this Committee shall Depart without Leave.
7. And that any Member Behaving Disorderly either by Getting Drunk, Swearing or any other Vice, shall be fined and subject to the same penalties as officers of the Court and no notice taken of their Motion until satisfaction is made to the Committee, And the fines Applyed as other fines of like nature for the Use of the Parish.
Resolved, That for a Committee of Secrecy and intelligence, this Comtee has truly Elected John Hamlin Chm, Joseph Winston, Richard Goode, Jesse Walton, Joseph Phillips, James Doak and Matthew Moore.
Resolved, That those who stand in opposition to the Common Cause, shall have no benefit of the proceedings of this Committee.
The Committee Adjourns till further Orders.
BENJAMIN CLEAVELAND, Chairn.
By Order, Wm Lenoir, Clk.