Wlliam Francis Martin (1821-1880) of Elizabeth City, NC, entered the University in 1838, joined the Philanthropic Society, and graduated with second honors in 1842. He became a lawyer and held the rank of colonel in the Confederate army. After the war he served on the University’s board of trustees from 1874 to 1879. He was married to Elizabeth McMorine (1830-1912) and is buried in the Episcopal Cemetery in Pasquotank County, NC. His papers are housed in the William Francis Martin Papers #493, Southern Historical Collection, Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.