Bartholomew Fuller (1829-1882), nicknamed Tholly, was the son of Catherine Raboteau and Thomas Fuller, a Fayetteville, NC, merchant. A member of the Dialectic Society, Bartholomew graduated with first honors in 1851. He studied medicine for a while, then law, establishing his first law practice with his brother Thomas Charles Fuller (1832-1901), who attended the University from 1849 to 1851. In 1853 Bartholomew married Wilhelmina Haldane Bell, with whom he had seven children. An active Presbyterian, he established in 1858 the Fayetteville Presbyterian, a weekly publication. During the Civil War he worked in the Richmond post office; after the war, he resumed his law practice in Fayetteville and then Durham, NC (Dictionary of North Carolina Biography 2:247-48).