University President Joseph Caldwell owned lot nineteen on Franklin Street in Chapel Hill, North Carolina (the current address of that lot is 410 East Franklin Street). Upon his death, Caldwell left the lot and the house on it to his step-son, William Hooper III. Hooper later sold the house to the University, which renovated the building and offered it as a residence to new University President David Lowry Swain. After the Civil War, the house was occupied by various staff and administrators. The house was destroyed by fire on Christmas morning 1886.
Works Consulted: Battle, Kemp P., History of the University of North Carolina, Raleigh, NC: Edwards & Broughton Printing Company, 1907-1912; Bryant, Bernard Lee, Jr., Occupants and Structures of Franklin Street, Chapel Hill, North Carolina at 5-Year Intervals, 1793-1998, Chapel Hill, NC: Chapel Hill Historical Society, 1999.