Documenting the American South Logo
Martinville, NC [former town in Guilford County, NC]

Martinville was once county seat of Guilford County, North Carolina. Established in 1774 as Guilford Courthouse, it was chartered in 1785 and renamed in honor of North Carolina Royal Governor Alexander Martin. The town was abandoned in 1808 after the establishment of Greensboro as the county seat.

Work Consulted: Powell, William S., The North Carolina Gazetteer, Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, [1968].