Colony Theater (opened 1953; closed October 1974)
The Colony was the new name given to the Carolina Theater in 1953 when Carl C. Dobbins took over as its proprietor. The Colony was located on Market Street in downtown Wilmington at the corner of Second Street. The theater had been built as the Victoria Theater in 1914.
The Colony closed in October, 1974. Leased at the time by Stewart-Everett Theaters, Inc., of Charlotte, who had held the lease for some 20 years, the Colony fell victim to the increasing suburbanization of Wilmington and the attendant decline of its downtown. Stewart-Everett also operated the Bailey Theater in 1974, and decided to concentrate its downtown theater operations in the one theater.
The building itself was torn down in April, 1975.