Rowan County Committee of Safety, Salisbury
A simple bronze tablet with an arched top displays the logo of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the inscription.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD / AND IN THE MEMORY OF THE / PATRIOTS / OF THE COMMITTEE OF SAFETY / AUGUST 8TH 1774 / VII RESOLVE “THAT IT IS THE DUTY AND / INTEREST OF ALL THE AMERICAN / COLONIES FIRMLY TO UNITE IN / AN INDISSOLUBLE UNION AND / ASSOCIATION TO OPPOSE BY / EVERY JUST AND PROPER MEANS / THE INFRINGEMENT OF THEIR / COMMON RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES.”
ERECTED BY THE / ELIZABETH MAXWELL STEELE CHAPTER / SEPTEMBER 15, 1927
September 15, 1927
35.668810 , -80.468440 View in Geobrowse
Smith, Carmen Minor. 2006. “Committees of Safety,” NCPedia.org, (accessed December 3, 2019) Link
“Minutes of the Rowan County Committee of Safety,” Rowan County (N.C.). Committee of Safety. Colonial and State Records of North Carolina, September 23, 1774 Volume 09, Pages 1072-1075. From "Documenting the American South", docsouth.unc.edu, (accessed December 3, 2019) Link
“The Rowan County Committee of Safety,” Carolina Watchman (Salisbury, NC), July 22, 1880
Elizabeth Maxwell Steele Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
The Committees of Safety were a network of 22 committees in counties and towns across North Carolina authorized by the Continental Congress, endorsed by the Second Provincial Congress of North Carolina and the North Carolina Assembly. They were established in late 1774 and early 1775 to enforce the banning of trade with Britain, spread Whig (Patriot) propaganda and begin making military preparations.
The memorial plaque is attached to the exterior wall, left corner, of the Rowan County Courthouse, 210 N Main St, Salisbury, NC 28144. The Rowan County World War I Memorial stands in front of the Rowan County Courthouse, on the right of a paved walkway leading to the courthouse building. The Elizabeth Maxwell Steel memorial plaque is attached to the outside wall of the historic courthouse building that stands to the left of the modern Rowan County Courthouse.
The Rowan County Courthouse is surrounded by lawn, with a few trees planted around the building.