Firemen Monument, Greensboro
The Firemen memorial is a 7 foot tall marble fireman statue atop a 10 foot tall granite base. The statue depicts a firefighter holding the nozzle of a fire hose connected to a fire hydrant behind the statue. He is wearing a helmet, boots and a long canvas overcoat. The base is multi-tier with the word FIREMEN on each of the plinth’s four sides. The memorial marks a 40 x 45 feet plot with a total of 11 graves. The plot is outlined by granite curbing with two small markers. One has an inscription “Org. 1849” and the other - "Erected 1922." What these dates refer to is unclear as the first city fire company was formed in 1852 and the monument was not placed and dedicated until 1924.
Images: Monument with gravestones | Rear view | Side view | "Org. 1849" inscription | "Erected 1922" inscription
FIREMEN (on each of four sides)
Green Hill Cemetery
June 8, 1924
36.082750 , -79.796790 View in Geobrowse
“Fire Chief in Happy Mood, Morning After,” Greensboro Daily News (Greensboro, NC), December 9, 1923
Alexander, Lex. “A Lonely Vigil,” Greensboro News and Record (Greensboro, NC), November 7, 1989
City of Greensboro. "Green Hill Cemetery," www.greensboro-nc.gov, (accessed February 25, 2021) Link
“Proposed Memorial to City’s Firemen,” Greensboro Daily News (Greensboro, NC), June 17, 1923
“Unveil Shaft to Firemen,” Greensboro Daily Record (Greensboro, NC), June 9, 1924
Marble statue, granite base
Greensboro Volunteer Fire Company
$4,250 was raised towards erection of the monument
700 people attended the dedication ceremony that was cut short by a violent thunderstorm that hit just as the cover was pulled from the statue. Activities had begun with a parade of fire vehicles and autos that had formed at city hall. Once at the cemetery, the day’s speakers stood on top of firetrucks to deliver their addresses. James Dobbin McNeil of Fayetteville was the featured orator and the statue was unveiled by two daughters of firemen buried in the plot.
The first burial at the location was in 1869 and two others were interred prior to 1924. The plot was established for firemen who died in the line of duty or were too poor for a proper burial. The last burial was in 1973.
The monument is located at Greensboro’s Green Hill Cemetery just inside the entrance at 901 Wharton Street, Greensboro, NC.
The monument is surrounded by tomb stones, mature trees and well-maintained lawn and landscaping.