House in the Horseshoe, Sanford
The marker consists of an arched top, 24 inch by 30 inch, bronze plaque attached to a large five feet high roughhewn block of granite. Above the inscription appears the spinning wheel insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
THE HOUSE IN THE HORSESHOE / HERE OCCURRED THE SKIRMISH / BETWEEN A BAND OF PATRIOTS UNDER / COL. PHILIP ALSTON / AND THE TORIES UNDER FANNING / ON JULY 29TH, 1781.
ERECTED BY ALFRED MOORE CHAPTER, D.A.R. / 1928
NC Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
November 10, 1928
35.467870 , -79.384340 View in Geobrowse
Thompson, Jr., William H. 2006. “House In the Horseshoe,” NCPedia.org, (accessed November 18, 2020) Link
“House in the Horseshoe,” North Carolina Historic Sites, historicsites.nc.gov, (accessed November 18, 2020) Link
“Unveil Marker at Historic Spot,” The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), November 11, 1928
Alfred Moore Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
Several hundred people were in attendance to hear Judge W.J. Adams of Carthage and a member of the NC Supreme Court give a historical sketch of the skirmish. Mrs. J. Talbot of Aberdeen presided over the ceremonies and music was provided by the Fifth Artillery Band from Ft. Bragg.
The marker is located at 288 Alston House Road, Sanford, NC 27330.