Wilson County Veterans Memorial, Wilson
This memorial is a grouping of four granite markers, left to right, for the Vietnam War, Korean War, World War Two and World War One and a flagpole on a granite base. The top third of each marker has an incised scene representing that conflict. The Vietnam War scene is that of a soldier with his weapon, wearing a helmet and flak jacket sitting on a hill overlooking rice paddies with more hills and a twin rotor helicopter in the background. The Korean War marker represents three soldiers shown from the rear crouching behind a tree. They are watching an aircraft in the distance making a strafing run. The World War Two scene has multiple elements with several soldiers, one holding a bazooka, a tank, a bomber aircraft, a naval vessel and an amphibious landing craft. The World War One marker depicts three soldiers in a trench with an artillery piece in the distance. A small bronze plaque with dedication information is attached to the bottom of the Vietnam War marker.
The flagpole base stands several feet tall and is in the shape of a pentagon. Each face has the incised name and coat of arms for a branch of the military. From the front and moving clockwise appear Coast Guard, Navy, Army, Air Force, Marines. An inscription plaque is attached to the flagpole. A few feet to the left of this grouping is the Purple Heart Memorial.
Images: WWI marker | WWII marker | Korean War | Vietnam War | Dedication plaque | Flagpole base "Army" | "Air Force" | "Coast Guard" and "Marine Corps" | "Navy" | Wilson County Courthouse with memorials on its left corner | View of the Wilson County Veterans Memorial and the Purple Heart marker | View of the courthouse building and memorials
Vietnam marker: WILSON / COUNTY / VIETNAM / VETERANS / 1961 – 1975
Dedication plaque: DEDICATED BY / THE WILSON JAYCEES / AND / JOYNER’S MEMORIAL INC. / NOV. 11, 1985
Korean War marker: WILSON / COUNTY / KOREAN / VETERANS / 1950 – 1955
World War Two marker: WILSON / COUNTY / W.W. II / VETERANS / 1941 – 1946
World War One marker: WILSON / COUNTY / W.W. I / VETERANS / 1917 – 1918
Flagpole inscription: FLAGPOLE DONATED / BY / INTERSTATE TIRES
November 11, 1985
35.725340 , -77.910460 View in Geobrowse
Daniel, Bobby. “Wilson County Courthouse in Wilson, North Carolina,” bobbystuff.com, (accessed June 6, 2021) Link
Markers: Wilson Jaycees. Flagpole: Interstate Tires
The memorial complex is located in front of and to the left of the Wilson County Courthouse within a few feet of the Purple Heart marker. The Wilson County Memorial Fountain stands on the right (southeast) corner if facing the building, at the corner of Nash St. and Goldsboro St. The Wilson County Courthouse (115 Nash St. East, Wilson, NC) is within the Old Wilson Historic District. There are many small businesses and office buildings in the area.
There is a large brick plaza in front of the courthouse building. The memorial complex stands to the left of this plaza surrounded by bushes and shady trees.