Confederate Monument, Asheboro
Full-length figure of a uniformed Confederate soldier stands atop a 25'10" pedestal with a 9'6" square granite base. The figure's proper left foot is propped on what appears to be a knapsack. He holds his rifle with bayonet attached in front of him, the butt at his proper right foot. Other uniform items include a wide-brimmed hat, canteen and gun powder flask. The base is decorated with reliefs of crossed rifles and a flag. The memorial is dedicated to the Confederate veterans of Randolph County.
A small granite plaque has been placed behind the monument with a correction to the inscription and the listing of additional Confederate units with members from Randolph County.
Images: Confederate monument in front of the Randolph County Courthouse | Rear inscription | Correction to the inscription
Front: 1861-1865 / Erected 1911 under the auspices of Randolph County Chapter U.D.C. / "Lest We Forget" / Our Confederate Heroes
Rear: RANDOLPH'S COMPANIES / D -- 22nd Regiment Infantry / I -- 22nd Regiment Infantry / L -- 22nd Regiment Infantry / H -- 38th Regiment Infantry / F -- 46th Regiment Infantry / G -- 46th Regiment Infantry / B -- 52nd Regiment Infantry / P -- 7th Regiment Infantry / F -- 2nd Battalion
Correction plaque inscription: THE 1911 MONUMENT MISTAKENLY LISTS / CO. M, 22ND REGIMENT AS “CO. D” / THE COUNTY ALSO SENT TO THE FRONT HALF / OF CO. H, 3RD NC; HALF OF CO. E, 44TH NC; / MUCH OF CO. H, 44TH NC; CO. K, 63RD NC; / COMPANIES A AND D OF THE 10TH BATTALION, / AND THE 63RD AND 64TH NC STATE MILITIA, / AS WELL AS NUMEROUS SOLDIERS AND / SAILORS SCATTERED AMONG OTHER UNITS.
September 2, 1911. Rededication: January 24, 1990
35.706110 , -79.813100 View in Geobrowse
"For Unveiling Day," The Courier (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911, 3 Link
"Landmark #1," Notes on the History of Randolph County, NC, (accessed Jan 19, 2012) Link
"Randolph County Court House, Asheboro, N.C." in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
Baity, Crystal. “’Hugo’ Returns Home,” The Courier-Tribune (Asheboro, NC), January 25, 1990, 1A
Underwood, William. "E. E. Moffitt, 1836-1930," Documenting the American South (from Dictionary of North Carolina Biography edited by William S. Powell), (accessed February 2, 2012) Link
Whatley, Mack. "The Randolph County Confederate Monument" in "Notes on the History of Randolph County, NC," (accessed November 10, 2019) Link
“Confederate Monument,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), July 20, 1911 Link
“Mr. E.L. Moffit’s Speech at Unveiling,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), Sept. 14, 1911 Link
“Randolph Chapter of U.D.C.,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911 Link
“Randolph County’s Unveiling Day,” The Courier, (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911 Link
The base is made of Mt. Airy granite. The figure is stamped copper
The Confederate monument was purchased by the United Daughters of the Confederacy under the leadership of Elvira Worth Walker Moffitt, the daughter of the county’s only Governor of North Carolina, Jonathan Worth.
The monument was unveiled Sept 2, 1911 at the two-year-old county courthouse, at a public event attended by an estimated 3,000 persons (about twice the population of Asheboro at the time). The keynote speaker was North Carolina Chief Justice Walter M. Clark, a Confederate veteran and author of the Regimental History series N.C. Troops. Congressman Robert N. Page delivered a “Eulogy to Old Soldiers,” and the President of the Randolph Chapter of the UDC, Miss May McAlister (the grand-daughter of Dr. John Milton Worth), unveiled the monument. It was “presented by” E.L. Moffitt, the President of Elon College; “accepted for the veterans” by the State Auditor, W.P. Wood; “for the county,” by county attorney H.M. Robins; and “for the town” by Mayor J.A. Spence. Bands played, songs were sung, and the UDC hosted a dinner on the grounds of the Presbyterian Church across the street, at which 250 watermelons were cut and served to the crowd.
The monument was toppled off of its pedestal by Hurricane Hugo in September of 1989. It was discovered that the internal structure (the internal armature reinforcing rods) had been damaged by rust. The monument was repaired by Adrien Van Der Staak and rededicated on January 24, 1990.
The soldier was nicknamed “Hugo,” after the hurricane that knocked it down in September 1989.
The monument is located in front of the Randolph County Courthouse facing south, in Asheboro, NC.
The memorial stands on the courthouse lawn.