Founding of Jackson County and Time Capsule, Sylva
The memorial marker is a rectangular block of granite with a smooth face and rusticated edges. An image of a scroll has been incised into the block with the main body of the inscription appearing on the scroll.
Images: Far-off view
JACKSON COUNTY / FOUNDED 1851 / BENEATH THIS MARKER IS / DEPOSITED A STAINLESS / STEEL CAPSULE CONTAINING / PICTURES AND PRINTED / MATERIALS DEPICTING THE / HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY / AND ITS PEOPLE FROM ITS / FOUNDING THROUGH THE / CELEBRATION OF ITS / 100TH ANNIVERSARY. / SEPTEMBER 2—8, 1951. / THIS CAPSULE TO BE / OPENED BY CITIZENS / OF JACKSON COUNTY, / SEPTEMBER 8, 2051
September 8, 1951
35.373780 , -83.227640 View in Geobrowse
Martin, Jonathan. "Jackson County (1851)," North Carolina History Project, northcarolinahistory.org, (accessed August 27, 2021) Link
Mull, Larry. “Jackson Opens Its Centennial Today,” Asheville Citizen Times (Asheville, NC), September 2, 1951
The memorial stands in a grassy area just to the left corner of the old Jackson County Courthouse which now houses the public library. Nearby is the Jackson County Armed Forces Memorial. Halfway down the impressive staircase in front of the courthouse is the Jackson County Confederate Monument. At the bottom of the staircase are the War Memorial Fountain and the Jackson County Veterans Memorial.
The marker faces the library parking lot. To the rear it overlooks the hilly downtown of Sylva, NC.