MacNeil Pioneers Memorial, Red Springs
The MacNeil Memorial is a large irregularly shaped, but flat bottomed, granite bolder with a bronze tablet attached to the front and a smaller plaque at the bottom right. The bolder rests on two large granite slabs spaced slightly apart.
Images: Bronze tablet | Smaller plaque
Tablet: TO COMMEMORATE / THE COMING OF THE MACNEIL / PIONEERS TO THE CAPE FEAR SETTLE / MENTS OF 1735 AND 1746 AND IN / RECOGNITION OF THEIR VALUABLE / CONTRIBUTION TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF AMERICA.
THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED BY THE CLAN / MACNEIL ASSOCIATION OF AMERICA / DEDICATED MAY 1928 BY / THE MACNEIL OF BARRA XLV.
Plaque: THIS BLOCK OF / NATIVE GRANITE / WAS PRESENTED BY / COL. WALTER SCOTT / OF NEW YORK
Highlander Academy (former site of Flora Macdonald College)
May 23, 1928
34.817840 , -79.177410 View in Geobrowse
“Unveiling of MacNeill Memorial at Red Springs May 23 Will Be Occasion of Great Gathering of Clans,” The Robesonian (Lumberton, NC), May 7, 1928
Beach, Kathryn. “The Highland Scots,” NCPedia.org, (accessed August 25, 2021) Link
Smith, Maude Thomas. “MacDonald, Flora,” NCPedia.org, (accessed August 25, 2021) Link
Williams, Wiley J. “Flora Macdonald College,” NCPedia.org, (accessed August 25, 2021) Link
“Scots in Rally at Flora M’Donald Today,” The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), May 23, 1928
“Unveil Stone to M’Neill Pioneers,” The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), May 24, 1928
Clan MacNeill Association of America
The address “What Scotland Has Contributed to America,” was given by Colonel Walter Scott of New York, a past Royal Chief, Order of Scottish Clans. The memorial was accepted by NC Governor Angus Wilton McLean.
The memorial is located on the grounds of the Highlander Academy, a private K-12 school. This campus formally housed the Flora Macdonald College, a Presbyterian affiliated school named after the Scottish heroine who lived in the Carolina colony for five years beginning in 1774. The college closed prior to 1961.
Highlander Academy is located at 200 North College Street. Red Springs, NC 28377.
The memorial marker stands on the lawn with evergreens as backdrop.