Jamestown Female College, High Point
The Jamestown Female College marker is a simple rectangular bronze tablet attached to a rough cut block of granite. The inscription states that bricks from the college building were used in creating the memorial. A 1929 newspaper photo shows that the bricks were used to create the base. That base was removed at some point and the stone placed on the ground. It stands about two-feet tall.
Images (by Devry Becker Jones, courtesy of HMdb.org): View of Jamestown Female College and Yadkin College markers
JAMESTOWN FEMALE COLLEGE / THIS MARKER / CONTAINS BRICK FROM THE / JAMESTOWN FEMALE COLLEGE / OPENED BY THE / METHODIST PROTESTANT CHURCH / JAMESTOWN, N.C. 1858 / AND DESTROYED BY FIRE / 1861 / NIKANTHAN AND THALEAN / LITERARY SOCIETIES / MAY 1, 1929
High Point University
May 1, 1929
35.971550 , -79.993660 View in Geobrowse
Nikanthan and Thalean Literary Societies
The Jamestown Female College (Academy) was one of three institutions founded by the Methodist Church in North Carolina in the last half of the 19th century and first quarter of the 20th century. The others being Yadkin College in 1856 and High Point College (University) in 1924.
The marker is located on Extraordinary Way just west of Montlieu Avenue, on the right when traveling west. It is on the campus of High Point University, High Point, NC.
The marker stands on the lawn, among scattered trees, outside of Roberts Hall. A few feet from this marker stands one to Yadkin College.