Allan and Flora MacDonald Plantation, Rocky Springs Township
The MacDonald Plantation marker is a lectern shaped grey granite block on a single granite base. Total height including the base is two-feet. The block width is 30 inches with a depth of 12 inches where it meets the base. A smaller marker with directions to an old cemetery is nearby. It is not associated with Allan and Flora MacDonald.
Images (by Jim Morgan): Far-off view
ALLAN AND FLORA MACDONALD / PLANTATION SITE 1775-1776 / ERECTED BY THE N.C. SOCIETY / OF COLONIAL WARS
United States Forest Service
September 25, 1960
35.227100 , -79.841000 View in Geobrowse
Caudill, William S. 2006. “Flora MacDonald Homesite,” NCpedia.org, (accessed May 11, 2022) Link
Gray, Don. "Bagpipes, Kilts Add Color to Flora Macdonald Event," The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), September 26, 1960
Kerrigan, Deanna. 2000. “MacDoanld, Flora,” NCedia.org, (accessed May 11, 2022) Link
“Flora MacDonald Homesite,” American Revolution Tour of N.C., (accessed May 11, 2022) Link
“Marker Honors Macdonald Pair,” The Charlotte News (Charlotte, NC), September 26, 1960
“Mt. Gilead: Flora Macdonald Marker Unveiled,” The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), September 23, 1960
N.C. Society of Colonial Wars
The memorial was unveiled by Reginald MacDonald, a lineal descendant of Flora MacDonald. The primary address was delivered by Dr. Wallace E. Caldwell of Chapel Hill and the historian of the N.C. Society of Colonial Wars. Along with bagpipe music, folk singer Mari McLeod MacDonald presented a song in Gaelic, the native language of the Scottish Highlanders.
The marker is located off of the unpaved Lovin Hill Road between Candor and Mt. Gilead in Montgomery County.
The memorial marker stands in hilly, wooded and undeveloped terrain.