Edgecombe County Confederate Monument, Tarboro
The monument consists of a tall granite column standing on a pedestal. At the top of the column stands a bronze statue of a Confederate soldier, who wears a hat and rests both his hands on his rifle. The rifle's stock is planted on the ground in front of the soldier. At the base of the monument are symbols of the Confederacy, including the rebel flag inside a cross and the seal of the Confederate States of America.
Front: ERECTED IN HONOR OF / THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / OF / EDGECOMBE COUNTY / ‘DEFENDERS OF STATE SOVEREIGNTY.’ 1861 C.S.A. 1865
Rear: ERECTED OCT. 29, 1904
October 29, 1904
35.900440 , -77.535970 View in Geobrowse
"Town Common and Confederate Monument, Tarboro, N.C." in North Carolina Postcard Collection (P052), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
"Town Commons Showing Confederate Monument, Tarboro, N.C.," in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill, (accessed December 10, 2012) Link
Confederate Veteran 19 (1911), 102 Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 80-84
Hardy, Charles C. Images of America: Remembering North Carolina’s Confederates, (Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing, 2006), (accessed February 8, 2012) Link
Smith, Blanche Lucas. North Carolina's Confederate Monuments and Memorials, (Raleigh, NC: North Carolina Division of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, 1941)
“Edgecombe County Confederate Memorial,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed September 11, 2017) Link
“Edgecombe County Confederate Memorial,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed January 26, 2012) Link
“Monument Unveiling Programme,” The Tarborough Southerner, October 27, 1904 Link
“Monument Unveiling,” The Tarborough Southerner, November 3, 1904 Link
Polished gray granite base and column, bronze statue.
The Daughters of the Confederacy - William Dorsey Prender Chapter
Two children, Katherine Wimberly Bourne and William Dorsey Pender, Jr. unveiled the monument. Bourne was a granddaughter of Civil War Governor, Henry T. Clark and Pender was the grandson of Confederate General William Dorsey Pender. When unveiled three shots were fired by the Edgecombe Guards as the band played “Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow.” Julian S. Carr delivered the day’s featured oration. Although in attendance Governor Charles B. Aycock was not on the program. After the speeches and benediction “Dixie” was played to end the ceremony.
The dedication was held without the statue present. It did not arrive from the foundry in Chicago until the following week.
The monument is on North Main Street (U.S. 64), on the right when traveling north, Tarboro, NC 27886. It is located in the town common that was established in 1760 by the legislative act which crated the colonial town of Tarboro. Several other memorials are located nearby, including USS Maine Memorial and Henry Lawson Wyatt Memorial Fountain.
The memorial stands in a large park, Tarboro’s Town Common that is one of two remaining original town commons in the United States, the other one being in Boston.