Confederate Soldiers Monument, Winston-Salem
James Alfred Blum, Designer
A Confederate soldier stands in uniform holding a rifle with its butt resting on the ground. The sculpture rests on a column that is decorated with two trumpets and a rosette containing the United Daughters of the Confederacy emblem. The sculpture itself is 6' tall by 2'6" wide, on a base 24' high by 6' wide.
Front: ERECTED BY THE JAMES B. GORDON CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / OCTOBER 1905 / WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -and lower in raised letters- OUR CONFEDERATE/ DEAD.
Left: AS SOUTHERN SOLDIERS OF THE WAR OF 1861-1865, THEY SHARE THE FAME THAT MANKIND AWARDS TO THE HEROES WHO SERVED IN THAT GREAT CONFLICT.
Right: IN CAMP ON FAME’S ETERNAL CAMPING GROUND.
Rear: SLEEPING, BUT GLORIOUS / DEAD IN FAME’S PORTAL / DEAD BUT VICTORIOUS / DEAD BUT IMMORTAL / THEY GAVE US GREAT GLORY /WHAT MORE COULD THEY GIVE? / THEY LEFT US A STORY, / A STORY TO LIVE!
City of Winston-Salem
October 3, 1905
36.098330 , -80.244960 View in Geobrowse
"Confederate Monument Unveiled," Winston-Salem Journal (Winston-Salem, NC), October 4, 1905
"Confederate Soldier (Sculpture)," Art Inventories Catalog, Smithsonian American Art Museum, (accessed May 22, 2016) Link
"Confederate monument on the lawn of the Forsyth County Courthouse," from "Digital Forsyth FCPL Buildings-B," Forsyth County Public Library, (accessed May 22, 2016) Link
"Our Confederate Dead," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed May 22, 2016) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 112-115
Domby, Adam H. "'Loyal to the Core from the First to the Last:' Remembering the Inner Civil War of Forsyth County, North Carolina, 1862-1876," Masters Thesis, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2011
Folder 13 in Alfred M. Waddell Papers, #743, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, see scans 14-21 Link
Green, Jordan. "Courthouse, Confederate included, to get new life as high-end apartments," yesweekly.com, April 10, 2013, (accessed May 22, 2015) Link
Hinton, John. "Confederate soldier statue vandalized in downtown Winston-Salem," Winston-Salem Journal (Winston-Salem, NC), journalnow.com, August 19, 2017, (accessed August 19, 2017) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. “Forsyth County,” North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed December 17, 2015) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, James B. Gordon Chapter #211, Forsyth County, NC. Chartered March 30, 1898, North Carolina Division, cindyhcasey.com, (accessed May 22, 2016) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Third Annual Meeting of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division Held in Henderson, N.C., October 11-12, 1899 (Raleigh, N.C.: Capital Printing Company, Printers and Binders, 1900), 57, (accessed September 12, 2012) Link
Waddell, Alfred M. Speech given to “James B Gordon Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy,” in Folder 13 of Alfred M. Waddell Papers, #743, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, see scans 1-8 Link
Young, Wesley. "What becomes of the statue?" http://www.journalnow.com/, February 1, 2012, (accessed May 22, 2016) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, James B. Gordon Chapter #211. Mrs. R. J. Reynolds and Mrs. J. K. Norfleet contributed $100 each. Fundraisers for the monument included the first motion picture ever shown in Winston-Salem.
Alfred M. Waddell gave the dedication speech, which praised the loyalty of Forsyth County residents to the Confederacy.
In 1903 the James B. Gordon Chapter #211 of the United Daughters of the Confederacy began a movement to place a Confederate monument in Court House Square in Winston-Salem. Dr. James Alfred Blum exhibited to the chapter a sketch of a soldier he proposed for the monument. It was approved and plans were begun to obtain a monument for no more than $3,000. The first motion picture ever shown in Winston-Salem was brought to the town as a fundraiser for the sculpture. Mrs. R. J. Reynolds and Mrs. J. K. Norfleet each donated $100 towards the monument. The sculpture was originally fenced. The fence was removed in the early 1920s.
On August 18, 2017, the statue was defaced with black paint on at least two sides. This monument was among several that was vandalized after the death of a counter-protester, Heather Heyer, at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August 2017 and after President Donald Trump expressed his opposition to the removal of Confederate memorials.
The monument is located by the Forsyth County Court House square, in downtown Winston-Salem, surrounded by Main, Liberty and Fourth streets. The statue stands at the northwest corner of the building, at Fourth and Liberty.
The memorial stands on the lawn, surrounded by shady trees and bushes.
The effort to bring a Confederate monument to the Courthouse Square of Winston-Salem began in 1903. Dr. James Alfred Blum’s sketch for the monument design was approved shortly after. The UDC’s goal was to fund a monument costing no more than $3,000.