Battle of Alamance Monument, Alamance Battlefield
This memorial, also known as "First Battle of the Revolution", is a small obelisk situated on top of four rectangular bases, the topmost of which is inscribed, sits in the middle of the Alamance battlefield.
Images: Front | Rear | Right side | Left side | Vintage postcard dated ca. 1905-1915 | Far-off view of James Hunter and Battle of Alamance monuments
Front: FIRST BATTLE OF THE REVOLUTION
Rear: HERE / WAS FOUGHT THE / BATTLE OF / ALAMANCE / MAY 16TH, 1771 / BETWEEN THE / BRITISH AND THE / REGULATORS
Right of Monument: LIBERTY
Left of Monument: 1880
State of North Carolina
May 29, 1880
36.008350 , -79.520700 View in Geobrowse
Fitch, William Edward. Some Neglected History of North Carolina; Being an Account of the Revolution of the Regulators and of the Battle of Alamance, the First Battle of the American Revolution, (New York, NY: Neale Publishing Co., 1905), (accessed May 16, 2012) Link
"Alamance Battleground: Colonial Period – Revolutionary War," North Carolina Historic Sites, nchistoricsites.org, (accessed December 8, 2019) Link
"Battle of Alamance," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed December 8, 2016) Link
"First Battle of the Revolution," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed December 8, 2016) Link
"Regulator Column Alamance Battleground State Historical Site Near Burlington, North Carolina" in North Carolina Postcard Collection (P052), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
Troxler, George W. "Alamance, Battle of," NCPedia.org, (accessed December 8, 2016) Link
“A Monument on the Battlefield of Alamance,” The Raleigh News (Raleigh, NC), April 29, 1880
“Celebration of the Battle of Alamance,” The Alamance Gleaner, Graham, NC), June 2, 1880
Alamance County granite
3,000 to 4,000 were present for the dedication ceremony. The first speech was given by Col. Thomas Holt who spoke on the early history of North Carolina. Next up was Judge Fowle with a patriotic speech during which he noted that “The Union is the Constitution and the Constitution is the Union.” The Honorable John Manning then followed with a speech after which officers of the memorial association and descendants of Regulators assisted with the unveiling. Dinner was then served for a cost of twenty-five cents to help pay for the monument. Dinner was followed by two more speeches.
The battle between two small forces was fought on May 16th, 1771.
The obelisk is located on North Carolina Route 62 east of Clapp Mill Road, Alamance, NC, on the left when traveling west. It stands app. nine miles from Burlington, N.C.
The monument stands on the site of the actual Alamance battleground. The Hunter monument is within sight.
The monument was originally dedicated in 1901 at the Guilford Courthouse battleground, and it was relocated in 1962 to the Alamance Battleground Historic site.