Monument to the Confederate Grays, 20th Regiment North Carolina State Troops, Company E, Faison
Standing ten feet tall, this granite monument honors the memory of Company E, the 20th Regiment of the North Carolina Confederate troops. The monument bears 107 names of the original roster of soldiers who fought within the regiment from Faison, NC. In addition, a small wreath is inscribed on the front of the monument's uppermost point. This wreath has the name of the troop inscribed in its center. Surrounding the central marker are four, small concrete pedestals adorned with concrete balls. These create a border of sorts around the marker, itself.
CONFEDERATE GRAYS ORGANIZED / AT FAISON, N.C. APRIL 16, 1861 / ORIGINAL ROSTER / COMMANDED BY CAPT. CALUDE B. DENSON-61 / COMMANDED BY CAPT. LEWIS T. HICKS-62 / LIEUTENANTS / JAMES R. PRYOR A. DOANE HICKS / LEMUEL W. HODGES DANIEL A. COGDELL / J. FRANK IRELAND JOSEPH B. OLIVER / H. GRIMES JOHN H. HICKS, M.D. / JAMES M. SPRUNT, CHAPLAIN / SERGEANTS / HENRY BAKER JOHN H. BLALOCK / GEO. W. BROADHURST JOHN H. CARR / BENJAMIN B. CARR MARION COGDELL / JOHN H. EDWARDS MARSHALL FLOWERS / BRYANT J. MILLARD JOHN A. SWINSON / NOAH WINDERS / CORPORALS / WILLIS D. CHERRY RICHARD BENNETT / JOHN K. FLOWERS LEWIS H. HILL / GEO. F. KORNEGAY A. S. PARKER / THOMAS B. WRIGHT KENAN MILLARD / PRIVATES / WILLIAM BAISON ISAAC BARFIELD / THEOPHILUS BARFIELD WILLIAM BARFIELD / IVEY BAKER JESSE BAKER / LEWIS J. BRADSHAW WILLIAM BENTON / DAVID BLALOCK W.C. BROADHURST / DAVID J. BROADHURST THOMAS W. BROADHURST / NEEDHAM BROCK CHAS BROCK / JONAH BROCK MARSHALL BRANCH / REUBEN BRANCH JOHN F. BURNHAM / HENRY BYRD ROBERT D. CARR / E. J. CHERRY STEPHEN COWLEY / WILLIAM B. COGDELL JOHN A. COGDELL / PETER DAVIS JOHN DAVIS / ARCHIE DAIL JOSEPH E. DENSON / THOS. M. FAISON ROBT. S. FLOWERS / HENRY GALLOWAY STAFFORD GRANT / JACKSON GRANT LEWIS D. GIDDENS / E. FAISON HICKS JOHN M. HICKS / W. HENRY HUGGINS JAMES H. HUGGINS / GEO. JERNIGAN JAMES D. IRELAND / JAMES KILLIT WILLIAM B. KING / JOSEPH H. KORNEGAY JOHN KILLIT / HENRY LAMBERT ROBERT KORNEGAY / JESSE W. LANE JOHN B. LANE / GILES MARTIN MAJOR LOFTIN / ALEX OUTLAW THOMS. M. MCINTYRE / DALLAS PRICE JAMES M. PADGETT / DAVID POLLOCK BENJAMIN PHILLIPS / CICERO ROGERS HENRY ROGERS / ERASMUS SWINSON JOHN D. SHINES / BRYANT SOUTHERLAND B. FRANK SWINSON / ASHLEY TEW RILEY TEW / GEO. W. WALLACE JOHN L. TEW / JESSE F. WATKINS THOS. WALLACE / JESSE P. WILLIAMS GEO. W. WILLIAMS / JAMES D. WINDERS DAVID WILSON / WILLIAM WINDERS EDWARD J. WINDERS / JOHN WRIGHT JAMES WHITFIELD / JOHN L. WATSON / ERECTED BY-SONS OF CO. E. C. S. A. / COMMITTEE / ROSS I. GIDDENS ALBERT MARTIN / MRS. MARSHALL WILLIAMS S. D. BROADHURST
Town of Faison
May 20, 1932
35.116570 , -78.138050 View in Geobrowse
"20th Regiment Co. E, N. C. Troops," Duplin County, NCGENWEB (accessed May 27, 2014) Link
"Duplin Roads Before Wallace: A History," Cape Fear Historical Institute (accessed May 27, 2014) Link
"History of Co. E 20th N.C. Regiment 1861-'65 Confederate Greys," USGenWeb Archives (accessed May 19, 2014) Link
"Unveiling Honors Faison Veterans," The Wilmington Morning Star, May 20, 1932, (accessed May 23, 2014) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments: An Illustrated History (Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2013).
Ewing, Chuck. "Civil War Rosters" (accessed May 27, 2014) Link
Siniard, Diane. "20th Regiment CO. E NC Troops Known as the Confederate Grays & the Duplin Grays" (accessed May 27, 2014) Link
Granite shaft, polished granite side
Sons of Company E., C. S. A. (Confederate States of America)
The dedication of this monument occurred on May 20, 1932 in Faison, North Carolina. Wilmington attorney J. O. Carr was chosen for the address at the monument's dedication. During his speech , Mr. Carr discussed Company E's history in the town of Faison. Mrs. Marshall L. Williams presided over the ceremony and the high school band played during the dedication. E. G. Broadhurst presented the monument to the town of Faison. It was accepted, on behalf of the town, by Mayor E. G. Faison. Other speakers at the ceremony include W. H. Sprunt of Wilmington, North Carolina. The same Confederate flag which had been used to cover North Carolina's Gettysburg monument at its dedication in 1929 was also used in this ceremony.
The 20th North Carolina Regiment, Company E, was enlisted at Smithville (now known as Southport) on April 16, 1861. The Confederate Grays were infantry soldiers and the 20th Regiment elected C. B. Denson as their Captain. The company was trained at the Franklin Institute and was sent to active duty in Smithville (Southport), North Carolina. Out of the original roster of 107 members, 26 were killed or died of wounds.
This monument is located north of W. Main Street and is situated between two sides of N. Faison Avenue (due to a split in the road) in Faison, North Carolina. The front of the monument faces south.
This monument is located in an area of grass between the two portions of Faison Avenue. Although both roads are lined with historic homes, the area where the monument stands contains no homes or other buildings.