Confederate Soldiers Monument, Weldon
Suffolk Marble Works, VA, Builder
The monument is 27 feet tall and depicts a common soldier standing contrapposto atop a square column holding the barrel end his rifle. The butt of the rifle rests near the soldier's right foot. The soldier is dressed in a typical Confederate uniform, including a brimmed hat.
The column is unadorned for most of its length, but features a base, shaft, and capital. The base consists of a granite plinth topped with two tiers of molding. The shaft of the column features two types of granite – the lower section of the column is a darker granite while the upper section is lighter in color. A plaque is located on one face of the lower half of the column. A sculpted molding located slightly below the mid-point of the column separates the two types of granite. The column is capped with a stepped cornice capital that the soldier rests upon.
North face: IN MEMORY OF THE / CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS / AND SAILORS OF / HALIFAX AND / NORTHAMPTON COUNTIES / 1861 -- 1865
South face: ERECTED BY THE JUNIUS DANIEL CHAPTER, UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY
September 17, 1908
36.420450 , -77.598430 View in Geobrowse
"Junius Daniel," Wikipedia, (accessed June 7, 2014) Link
"Removal of Monument," Scotland Neck Commonwealth (Scotland Neck, NC), July 27, 1934, 1
"Unveiling Today," Roanoke News (Roanoke, NC), September 17, 1908, (accessed June 10, 2014) Link
Allen, William Cicero. "The Construction and Service of the Albermarle." In History of Halifax County. Boston: The Cornhill Company, 1918, (accessed June 9, 2014) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Weldon," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed August 30, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Nineteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Charlotte, North Carolina, October 6, 7, 8, 1915 (Wilmington, N.C: Wilmington Stamp and Printing Company), 103, (accessed September 7, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Tenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division, Held at Durham, N.C., October 10th, 11th and 12th 1906, (Newton, NC: Enterprise Job Print., 1907), 91, (accessed August 30, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Twelfth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Goldsboro, N.C., October 13th, 14th, 15th, 1908 (Newton, N.C.: Enterprise Job Print, 1909), 132, (accessed September 7, 2012) Link
“Contract Made for Monument,” The Roanoke News (Weldon, NC), March 19, 1908
“Monument Unveiled.” The Roanoke News (Weldon, NC), September 24, 1908
“Occasion of Great Interest,” News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), September 29, 1908
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Junius Daniel Chapter
A procession which included a corps of Confederate veterans (Company K, 3rd Infantry) began at 1:30 pm. Miss Esther Ransom unveiled the monument. Col. Robert E. Lee, Jr., the grandson of General Robert E. Lee, delivered the principal address, and the Third Regiment band played music. Col. W. H. S. Burgwyn presided as master of ceremonies. Dr. A. R. Zollicoffer presented the monument with 3,000 people in attendance.
The Junius Daniel Chapter worked towards the establishment of the monument from the inception of the chapter.
Junius Daniel, a native of Halifax County, was a brigadier general in the Confederate Army. He died in 1864 at the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House.
The monument stands at the entrance of Cedarwood Cemetery, at the intersection of Maple St. and E. 9th St.
The area is mainly residential.
The monument was originally located at the intersection of Washington Ave. and Fifth St., facing north. It was moved to its present location on July 19, 1934 to make way for a paving project by the State Highway and Public Works Commission.