Hertford County Confederate Dead, Winton
Before its removal on August 19, 2020 the monument was located in front of the Hertford County Courthouse, 701 King Street, Winton, NC. The monument is 13-foot-tall and composed of a tiered base with a life-sized Confederate soldier standing on top holding a musket. The base was surrounded by four cannon balls.
South side: OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD / 1861-1865
West side: HERTFORD COUNTY CHAPTER / U. D. C.
September 25, 1913
36.396440 , -76.933530 View in Geobrowse
"Hertford County Confederate Monument North Carolina ---- Winton NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 28, 2014) Link
Confederate Veteran, 22 (1914), p. 341. Link
Bryant, Cal. “Confederate Statue in Winton Will Be Removed,”Roanoke-Chowan New-Herald (Ahoskie, NC), August 18, 2020, (accessed September 6, 2023) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 91, 224
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Fourteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division, Held at Rocky Mount N.C., October 12th, 13th, 14th 1910, [Raleigh, NC: Capital Printing Co., 1910], 138, (accessed September 5, 2012) Link
“Greatest Day in Life of Hertford,” News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), September 27, 1913
“Hertford County UDC Monument,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed October 3, 2017) Link
“Unveiling of the Winton Monument,” Fayetteville Weekly Observer (Fayetteville, NC), September 24, 1913
Bronze statue, granite shaft and base
United Daughters of the Confederacy, Hertford County Chapter
$2,500 ($1,000 from state legislature)
The cornerstone was laid by the Masonic Lodge on August 23, 1910, with the unveiling originally planned for May 10, 1911. The reasons for the delay are uncertain but on September 25, 1913 the big day had finally arrived. Six little girls, members of the Anne Virginia Jackson Chapter, Children's Auxiliary to the Hertford County Chapter, U.D.C., assisted in the unveiling, led by nine-year-old Marietta Randolph Bridger. The orator for the day was then Attorney General, later Governor, T.W. Bickett.
Mrs. Roswell Carter Bridger and Miss Willie Boone, daughter of Captain Thomas D. Boone, worked to solicit subscriptions throughout the county in order to secure the monument.
Following the massacre of nine African Americans in a church in Charleston, South Carolina on June 17, 2015 by white supremacist Dylann Roof, Americans, especially southerners, have reflected on and argued over the historical legacy of slavery, the Civil War, the Confederacy, and white supremacy. Monuments have been a particular focus of these debates and controversies, especially after the death of a counter-protester, Heather Heyer, at a white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia in August 2017 and after President Donald Trump expressed his opposition to the removal of Confederate memorials. Despite laws in many southern states intended to prevent or impede the removal or relocation of historical monuments, protesters and local community leaders have removed or relocated controversial monuments associated with slavery, the Confederacy, and white supremacy. The pace of the removal of controversial monuments accelerated sharply in 2020, following the death of George Floyd at the hands of police in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Against the backdrop of protests against police brutality and white supremacy across the nation, local authorities in many communities in North Carolina removed and/or relocated monuments that were the focus of civil unrest.
On August 17, 2020 the Hertford County Board of Commissioners voted to remove the Confederate Monument from the grounds of the old Hertford County Courthouse. On August 19, 2020 contractors removed the memorial. Its final disposition has not been determined.
On August 19, 2020 contractors removed the memorial. Its final disposition has not been determined.
Before its removal on August 19, 2020 the monument was located in front of the Hertford County Courthouse, 701 King Street, Winton, NC. The monument stood on the intersection of two roads, on the lawn of a one-story, red-brick county courthouse. The geo coordinates of the former location: 36.396440 , -76.933530. The Hertford County WWI Memorial is still located on the other side of the building facing N. King Street.