Mooresville War Memorial Center, Mooresville
The War Memorial Center is comprised of a main building, gym, pool house and outdoor pool,
three tennis courts and the adjacent Liberty Park. The gym, pool, tennis courts and part of the
main building were later additions. The building was the vision of local civic groups that came
together after World War Two. The left side of what is now the main building opened in 1949 as
a memorial to World War One and World War Two veterans. The gym was added in the 1950’s
with the main building addition in 1967.
Inside the main entrance are five bronze plaques on what was the original exterior wall of the building. One is from the 1949 dedication, two from the 1967 addition and two are not dated.
The outside of the building features additional memorials. To the left of the entrance is a bronze memorial plaque to World War Two Gold Star Boys. To the right of the entrance is a large bronze Roll of Honor listing employees from Mooresville Mills who served in World War II. It was relocated to the center when the mill closed. Further to the right is a bronze plaque to Captain Reid R. Morrison and the men of Battery F, 113th Field Artillery in World War One. Continuing right to the east end of the facility one finds the coat of arms for the Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guard and Navy attached to the side of the building facing a concrete patio area. A plaque laid into the patio is dedicated to the men and women who have served in the military.
Images: Dedication plaques | Coat of arms for the Air Force, Army, Marines, Coast Guard and Navy
Plaque center top: IN APPRECIATION TO / MOORESVILLE / WOMAN’S CLUB
Plaque center middle: WAR MEMORIAL – BUILDING ERECTED 1949 / RECREATION COMMITTEE / MRS. JOHN F. MATHESON, CHAIRMAN – WOMAN’S CLUB / E.C. BEATTY - MAYOR / J.R. MARKS – JAYCEES / JAMES E. MCKNIGHT – KIWANIS / JIM MACK MORROW – LIONS / ELMER TURNER, JR. – V.F.W. / W.J. HASELDEN, SR. – AMERICAN LEGION / ONI P. HOUSTON – ROTARY / MRS. T.D. MILLER – JUNIOR CIVIC LEAGUE
Plaque center bottom: IN APPRECIATION TO / AND / IN MEMORY OF / MR. & MRS. / JOHN FLOOD MATHESON
Plaque left: WAR MEMORIAL ADDITION / TOWN OF MOORESVILLE / MAYOR: / BOYCE A. BRAWLEY / THE RECREATION COMMISSION / SHAW BROWN, CHAIRMAN / DR. HARDING ROGERS, VICE-CHAIRMAN / MRS. MARGARET S. SPENCER / DR. R.R. MORGAN / MRS. MARY SULLIVAN / VICHARD COOKE / MRS. MILDRED T. MILLER / W.W. RADER / REV. W.P. GRIER / W.G. YOUNG / JAMES CAMPBELL / W.B. CURTIS / W.S. LOWRANCE / T.C. HOMESLEY / JOHN C. MILLER / HERSCHELL SNUGGS / DR. BOYCE BRAWLEY / CARL M. BARBER, JR.; SUPT. OF RECREATION / BILLY D. PARKER; ASST. SUPT. OF RECREATION / GENERAL CONTRACTOR / CABARRUS CONSTRUCTION COMPANY / ARCHITECTS / D. GENE WHITTINGTON ASSOCIATES / 1967
Plaque right: MOORESVILLE / WAR MEMORIAL / TO THE MEN AND WOMEN WHO / HAVE SERVED OUR COUNTRY AND / IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO HAVE / GIVEN THEIR LIVES IN HER DEFENSE / 1967
City of Mooresville
October 14, 1949. Building addition dedication: 1967
35.582180 , -80.807340 View in Geobrowse
Brick, block, steel, concrete and glass
Local Civic clubs
The formal opening was held as a prelude to the homecoming football game for the Mooresville Central High Blue Devils. Music was provided by the high school’s band which led a parade to the football game at the ceremony’s conclusion. Dr. Harold D. Meyer, Director of the North Carolina Recreation Commission was the featured speaker.
This facility is considered out of date. Studies were done in 2016 in an attempt to
determine if it can be updated or will need to be replaced.
Charles Graves, Atlanta, Georgia drew original community room plans.
The community groups involved with the fundraising included the Rotary Club, Women’s Club and Kiwanis Club along with a donation from Mooresville Mill.
The War Memorial Community Center is located at 220 North Maple St., Mooresville, NC. The Captain Reid Morrison memorial and the Mooresville Mill World War II Roll of Honor stand to the right of the entrance to the building. The World War II Gold Star Boys plaque is attached to the outside wall, left of the entrance
The Memorial Center is surrounded by well-maintained lawn, trees and seasonal greenery.