“Old Bruno” Bear Sculpture, New Bern
“Old Bruno” depicts a black bear walking on all fours installed on a round concrete base. The bear and base are made of concrete. The bear is almost four feet tall and eight feet long with the base being three feet high. The bear was reported to weigh 700 pounds. It originally had a metal tongue painted red which was ripped off by vandals and not replaced. Remnants of the tongue are still present.
Craven County School System
August 7, 1957
35.098860 , -77.115500 View in Geobrowse
Concrete over wire mesh
Commissioned by New Bern City Board of Aldermen
No formal dedication is noted. The bear adorned a 50+ feet long float in Morehead City’s 100th anniversary parade on August 7, 1957. The float also carried three or four local beauty queens and won two prizes in the parade competition. After the parade the New Bern Board of Aldermen voted to give the bear to the local high school.
The sculpture was commissioned by New Bern as their contribution to centennial celebrations held for Morehead City in 1957. The bear was chosen because it was the city of New Bern’s symbol.
“Old Bruno” is located at New Bern High School, 4200 Academic Drive, New Bern
The bear was moved to its current location in 1991 when the current high school was built. The former location is now the Grover C. Fields Middle School.