Olde Averasborough Monument, Erwin
The marker to the history of Averasborough stands just over six feet tall consisting of a granite
block 30 inches wide and 6 inches thick on a granite base with a concrete pad for the
foundation. In addition to the front inscription; a stagecoach with horses, a long-leaf pine,
wooden raft and wooden cask are incised into the stone. A marker to Company B, 10 Battalion,
NC Heavy Artillery and a memorial to the Six Sons of Thomas and Mary Avera form a triangle on
the concrete pad. Four flagpoles surround this grouping. One flies the American flag, one the
Confederate national flag, one the Confederate battle flag and one a Revolutionary War era
Images: Back inscription | Grouping of three monuments | Monuments and flagpoles
Front: TOWN OF AVERASBOROUGH / FOUNDED PRE-REVOLUTIONARY WAR BY /
ALEXANDER, WILLIAM AND HENRY AVERA / THEN INCORPORATED IN 1791 AS /
THE THIRD LARGEST TOWN / ON THE CAPE FEAR RIVER / A KEY STOPPING POINT
FOR STAGE ROAD / TRAVELERS AND FOR BOATMEN / LOCATED AT HEAD OF THE
POLE BOAT / NAVIGATION BELOW SMILEY’S FALLS / PRESENTING CHALLENGING
NAVIGATIONAL / DEVELOPMENT EFFORTS / ECONOMICALLY STABILIZED BY
TIMBERING / LUMBER MILLS AND / NAVAL STORES PRODUCTION / MARCH 1865
BATTLE OF AVERASBOROUGH / THREE MILES SOUTH / ON THE SMITH
Rear: IN MEMORY OF, / CAPTAIN WILLIAM AVERA III 1736-1808 / WILLIAM AVERA 1751-1826 / HENRY AVERA 1753-1836 / THOMAS AVERA JR. 1741-1787 / ARTHUR AVERA 1762-1823 / WILLIAM “RED BILLY” AVERA 1770-1848 / EDITH AVERA 1774-1848 / CORNELIUS BRIGHT AVERA 1857-1918 / WILLIAM RUFUS AVERA 1835-1864 / REUBEN AVERA 1863-1940 / ANNA M. AVERA 1872-1962 / IRENE BAREFOOT 1909-2003 / RAIFORD LUCUS 1795-1870 / CHERRY LUCAS 1795-1860 / THOMAS WASHINGTON COLVILLE 1853-1925 / MARGARET GREGORY COLVILLE 1846-1925 / THOMAS HUNTER BARNES 1854-1887 / JANE FRANCES BARNES 1853-1916 / DANIEL FAIRCLOTH 1842-1918 / JOHN MCALLISTER 1774-1834 / JOHN SMITH 1772-1851 / JOHN LLOYD RYALS 1832-1907 / EDWARD HARPER NORRIS / MATTIE L. NORRIS 1890-1947 / COLMAN LUCAS 1898-1965 / WILEY C. WEST 1864-1937 / CORRENNA B. WEST 1879-1967 / ROBERT J. NORRIS / JOHN G. GODWIN 1845-1927 / EMILY J. GODWIN 1855-1912
CONTRIBUTORS / WADE HAMPTON AND SHELLY WEEKS WEST / PRESTON AND LOIS AVERY / BILL AND SARAH AVERY /
[List of names left column] NELSON AND SYLVIA AUSTIN / BRYAN AND TINA AVERY / HERSCHER AND VIRGIA AVERY / CHARLES AND DEBBIE BYRD / MICHAEL, VICKIE, JUSTIN, AND JESICA CHAMPION / ELMA SNIPES COX / PHYLISS AVERY CURTIS / CINDY DHAND / CECIL EDGERTON / ADAM T. EDWARDS / DANIEL E. EDWARDS / DANNY AND LYNN EDWARDS / HENRY AND SUSIE ELMORE / CARON GALLANT / HARVEY AND CARMELIA GODFREY / TONY AND JANICE GODWIN / WEBSTER AND MARIE GREGORY / JOHN HAIRR / SION HARRINGTON III / JOE JACKSON / BRANDON AND BRIDGET LEE / BRENT, DAWN, AND MAEGAN LEE / TRAVIS AND DIANN GLOVER/
[List of names right column] TOM STEWART / DOUGLAS EUGENE LEE / BOBBY AND JOYCE MABRY / MARY ANN MAN / JASON, CALLIE, CALEB, AND COLE MANNING / RICK AND JANCIE MANNING / DARLENE SMITH MAYNARD / NORMAN AND JOAN MCMILLIAN / CLAUDE AND DOREEN MEDLIN / MISTY BAREFOOT PARKER / BRENDA HESLER PEREGOY / JOHN DABNEY PEREGOY III / JILL PETROZZI / JOEY POWELL / CLINT GALLANT ROYAL / WALTER G. SMITH JR. / DOUG AND SHARON STEVENS / RONNIE AND DELORES STEWART / TERANCE AND SHARONA STOKES / MIKE AND REBECCA WALTER / MARTIN WARREN / BILLY AND EVA WILLIAMSON / WEBSTER AND EULA GREGORY SR.
June 5, 2011
35.307110 , -78.679580 View in Geobrowse
Bryan Avery and community donations
The unveiling took place between 3 and 5 pm on June 5, 2011 and included participants dressed in Colonial attire. Nearly 300 people were invited to the event via Facebook, and approximately 200 individuals attended. A choir sang the hymn "How Great Thou Art" and "Dixie," and then the Declaration of Independence was read. Different flags representing historic periods were displayed. The Edenton Bell Battery Confederate re-enactment unit fired a cannon.
Bryan Avery's ancestors founded the town in 1766. In 1791, the family donated land so that the town could expand.
Located on the Cape Fear River, Averasboro (the modern spelling of the town's name), was once a major port for farmer transporting their goods to Fayetteville. The town also served as an important Confederate recruiting hub. After the Civil War, the Ku Klux Klan was active in the area, and federal marshals were called in.
The site is a permanent private easement to Bryan Avery but within a few feet of the public right of way. The public may access the site.
This monument is one of three at this location. The other two were dedicated together in May, 2012. The easement for the site was provided by Wade Hampton West.
The monument stands on the northwest corner of a four way intersection, Salt Market Street and Norris Road run east-west, and Chicora Road runs north-south. The monument forms a triangle, along with a marker to Company B, 10th Regiment NC Heavy Artillery and a marker to the Six Sons of Thomas and Mary Avera.
The monument stands on the grass in rural area outside the town of Erwin.