McIntyre Skirmish Memorial, Charlotte
The monument is constructed of large granite stones and masonry, 6 ½ feet high and 8 feet wide, built in the form of a pylon. Attached is a bronze plaque commemorating the Revolutionary War skirmish fought at this location. In relief, in the plaque’s gable shaped top is a tree holding a hornets nest with buzzing hornets. Below this are the inscription and a logo for the Daughters of the American Revolution. At the bottom, also in relief, is a single tree branch holding a hornets nest with hornets in flight. Newspaper descriptions of the monument from 1901 state the plaque was originally of granite and made at I.M. Durham Marble Yard. This marker in turn had replaced a temporary wooden marker that had been placed at a Daughters of the American Revolution picnic to the site on July 12, 1900 It was not determined when the granite plaque was replaced with the existing one of bronze.
Images: Plaque | View of two memorials dedicated to the Battle of McIntyre’s Farm
IN COMMEMORATION / OF THE / MCINTYRE SKIRMISH / OCT. 3 1780 / ERECTED BY MECKLENBURG CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation Department
35.311990 , -80.864700 View in Geobrowse
"The American Revolution," Lost Charlotte, The Queen City of the South's Past Revisited, http://lostcharlotteblog.com/, (accessed October 31, 2015) Link
The American Monthly Magazine, Volume 21, 1902, (accessed July 24, 2015) 237-238 Link
The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), October 22, 1901
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. “McIntyre Site Report,” http://www.cmhpf.org/, (accessed August 19, 2015) Link
Federal Writers Project. North Carolina: A Guide To The Old North State: A Guide to the Old North State (Somerset Publishers, Inc., Jan 1, 1939) 540 Link
Mecklenburg Chapter NSDAR. "From the Beginnings," Daughters of the American Revolution, (accessed October 31, 2015) Link
Norris, David A. "McIntyre's Farm, Battle of," NCPedia.org, 2006, (accessed October 31, 2015) Link
Tompkins, Daniel Augustus. History of Mecklenburg County and the City of Charlotte, from 1740 to 1903, (Charlotte, N.C.: Higginson Book Company, 1903) Link
“E.L. Baxter Davidson House,” Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission, (accessed January 11, 2017) Link
“Historic Stone,” The Charlotte News (Charlotte, NC), August 5, 1901
Rough stones of native granite, bronze
Mecklenburg Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The British Army under command of British General Charles Cornwallis occupied Charlotte in 1780. Being short on provisions they came to believe the revolutionaries had provisions stored at McIntyre’s farm. A foraging party of over 400 British troops sent to the farm was routed by 14 patriots under the command of Colonel George Graham. This skirmish is also known as the “Battle of the Bees,” as the patriots’ defense was aided by the British troops having disturbed a hornet nest.
The monument is located just off Beatties Ford Road at the intersection with McIntyre Avenue in Charlotte. A separate monument commemorating the battle erected by the Sons of The American Revolution stands a few feet away.
The memorial stands on the grass under shady trees, close to the road.