Thomas Wolfe Memorial, UNC (Chapel Hill)
This monument honors author Thomas Wolfe. It is an 850 pound bronze bas-relief mounted on a freestanding brick wall. The relief depicts an angel, a reference to Wolfe’s most famous work, “Look Homeward, Angel”. The restoration of the monument was completed in 2006.
Front (inscribed on angel’s wing): OH LOST, AND BY THE WIND GRIEVED, GHOST, COME BACK AGAIN
Rear: THOMAS WOLFE / UNC CLASS OF 1920 / REMEMBERING SPEECHLESSLY WE / SEEK THE GREAT FORGOTTEN LANGUAGE, / THE LOST LANE-END INTO HEAVEN, A / STONE, A LEAF, AN UNFOUND DOOR. / WHERE? WHEN? / LOOK HOMEWARD, ANGEL / 1929
Thomas Wolfe Society and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
May 1, 1969
35.910650 , -79.049410 View in Geobrowse
UNC Class of 1966
The monument is now located between Greenlaw and Murphey Halls on the campus of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
The monument was unveiled in Person Hall in 1969 but was moved to an alcove next to the New East building on campus in 1972.
Though the New East location was appropriate, the monument was hidden and received few visitors and fell into disrepair. After a long campaign by admirers, the University restored the brass relief and mounted it on a free-standing brick wall in the memorial courtyard between Murphey and Greenlaw Halls.