Confederate Soldiers Memorial, Rockingham
Rockingham Marble Works, Builder
The monument stands 14 feet in height in the Rockingham Old Courthouse grounds. It commemorates the Confederate soldiers of the Civil War. The monument depicts a Confederate flag carved in relief on the monument's front as well as a sword surrounded by a wreath carved in relief on the monument's reverse.
Facing courtyard: 1861 1865 / ERECTED IN 1930, BY THE PEE DEE GUARDS / CHAPTER OF THE UNITED DAUGHTERS / OF THE CONFEDERACY OF RICHMOND / COUNTY, IN LOVING MEMORY OF OUR / CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS
Facing West Washington Street: 1861 1865 / LEST WE FORGET
November 14, 1930
34.939250 , -79.774680 View in Geobrowse
"Confederate Soldiers Memorial, Rockingham, Richmond County," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org (accessed August 4, 2014) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 162, 205-206, 225
Curtis, Sue J. "North Carolina Confederate Memorials," May 27, 2011, North Carolina United Daughters of the Confederacy, (accessed May 7, 2013) Link
Hardy, Michael C. Remembering North Carolina’s Confederates, (Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia Publishing, 2006)
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Confederate Soldiers Monument, Rockingham" North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed June 4, 2014) Link
Richmond County Historical Society. "History of Richmond County", rchs-nc.net, (accessed October 23, 2017) Link
“Confederate Monument Unveiled,” Rockingham Post-Dispatch (Rockingham, NC), November 20, 1930
Pee Dee Guards Chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy of Richmond County
On the day of the dedication, World War I veterans and local Boy Scouts led the march to the old Courthouse Square where Mrs. R.T. Nichols, local UDC president, presided over the ceremony. Mrs. George P. Entwistle presented the monument which was accepted by W. S. Thompson prior to former Governor Cameron Morrison giving the featured address. The monument was unveiled by a five-year-old relative of one of the first volunteers of Richmond County, Ridson Thomas Nicholas, Jr. Interspersed during the exercises was music “by the young negro boys from the Morrison Training School.” Governor Morrison was principal in creating funding for the school and it was named in his honor. It was felt appropriate that the boys provide the music.
The monument stands at the intersection of Lee Street and West Washington Street in a courtyard area sitting between two portions of West Washington Street. The monument stands on the northern portion of the courtyard and faces south towards a fountain.
Facing the courtyard and fountain, the monument is surrounded by benches, trees, and grass areas.