Veterans Memorial, Enfield
The memorial stands approximately ten feet high in the center. It was originally dedicated to Confederate soldiers and veterans of World War One.
It is of Georgia marble with bronze tablets. Two small walls extend bilaterally from the center, square column, and one side supports a drinking fountain.
A Confederate flag is carved into the marble one one side of the center column. A 48-star American flag is carved into the other side, along with the symbol of the American Foreign Legion. Below each flag, a bronze plaque is affixed to the structure. The small walls to either side are carved with inscriptions.
The small columns at either side of the short walls are carved with rosettes.
Since its dedication in 1928, inscriptions have continued to be added to the monument, commemorating World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Vietnam War, and the Persian Gulf War.
Wall to the left of the Confederate flag, carved into the marble (with drinking basin): ERECTED / BY THE / FRANK M. PARKER / CHAPTER
Center column, under the Confederate flag, inscribed upon a bronze plaque: 1861 (laurel wreath with flag and bow) 1865 / TO THE MEMORY OF THE VETERANS / OF THE WAR / BETWEEN THE STATES / "WE CARE NOT WHENCE THEY CAME / DEAR IN THEIR LIFELESS CLAY / WHETHER UNKNOWN OR KNOWN TO FAME / THEIR CAUSE AND COUNTRY STILL THE SAME / THEY DIED AND WORE THE GRAY"
Center column, under the Confederate flag and bronze plaque, carved into the marble: RELOCATED BY / CLAUDE N. KIMBALL, JR. / V. F. W. POST NO. 6813
Wall to the right of the Confederate flag, carved into the marble: UNITED DAUGHTERS / OF THE / CONFEDERACY / MAY 30 1925 Back: wall to the left of the American flag, carved into the marble (no drinking basin): KOREAN CONFLICT / 1950 - 1953 / VIETNAM WAR / 1961 - 1975
Back: center column, under the American flag, inscribed upon a bronze plaque: 1917 (star) 1918 / IN HONOR OF / OF THE WORLD WAR / "COMRADES TRUE, BORN ANEW / PEACE TO YOU / YOUR SOULS SHALL BE WHERE THE HEROES ARE AND YOUR MEMORY SHINE / LIKE THE MORNING STAR." / JOYCE KILMER
Back: wall to the right of the American flag, carved into the marble: WORLD WAR II / 1941 - 1945 / PERSIAN GULF WAR / 1990
Enfield Parks and Recreation Department
May 30, 1928. Rededication: May 30, 1954
36.186700 , -77.671910 View in Geobrowse
"Honoring Our Veterans -- Veterans Memorial at Randolph Park -- Enfield, NC -- Nov. 11, 2012," YouTube video, 1:39, posted by "mountainbikekayak," Nov. 12, 2012 Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 195
Holliday, Robert Cortes, Joyce Kilmer, (New York: George H. Doran Company, 1918), 105-07. Link
Ryan, Abram J. Father Ryan's Poems. Mobile: Jno. L. Rapier & Co., Publisher, 1879 (accessed June 10, 2014) Link
“Enfield Honors Halifax Heroes,” The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), June 3, 1928
“Marker Re-Dedication Set,” The News and Observer (Raleigh, NC), May 30, 1954
Frank M. Parker Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy
Exercises began at 4:30 pm. D. Mac Johnson presided over the community-wide Memorial Day celebration. O. P. Dickinson, a prominent Wilson attorney, delivered the address. His speech praised both the Confederate veterans and the soldiers of the World War. Billie Harrison and Mary Parker, both descendants of Confederate veterans, unveiled the fountain. Mayor A. W. Andleton accepted the memorial on behalf of Enfield.
The Joyce Kilmer stanza is excerpted from a larger poem entitled Rouge Bouquet (1918), and it was first published two weeks after his death in 1918.
The unattributed verse under the Confederate flag is from "The March of the Deathless Dead" by Abram Joseph Ryan, a Catholic priest who served with the Confederate Army.
Francis M. Parker was a colonel of the 30th North Carolina Infantry Regiment during the Civil War. The chapter bearing his name was chartered in 1907 and is now defunct.
During segregation, the fountain provided two drinking spouts, one for whites and one for non-whites. The fountain for non-whites has been removed, but its pedestal and spigot hole remain.
Both Sue Curtis and the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources list the dedication date as June 3, 1928.
The monument is located in Randolph Park, near a small stream in Enfield, NC. It is visible from McFarland Road and from a small access road that divides the park from Elmwood Cemetery.
The memorial stands in a grassy field surrounded by
The fountain was originally located on a street in downtown Enfield. It may have been relocated in 1954 as a news story describes a new unveiling and then re-dedication.
The Tabernacle Baptist Church each year holds a Veterans Day service and afterwards places a wreath in honor of all veterans past and present.