James B. White Memorial, Whiteville
This memorial consists of a rough stone block base with a bronze plaque commemorating James B. White, founder of Whiteville, North Carolina and Columbus County’s first state senator. The monument is approximately four and a half feet tall.
IN MEMORY OF / JAMES B. WHITE / 1774 1820 / ACTIVE IN ESTABLISHING COUNTY 1808. COLUMBUS / COUNTY’S FIRST STATE SENATOR 1809. A FOUNDER / OF TOWN OF WHITEVILLE AND FROM WHOM TOWN / DERIVED NAME. IN 1810 TOWN OF WHITEVILLE WAS / LAID OUT ON HIS LANDS. HE GAVE SITE FOR FIRST / COURTHOUSE AND JAIL. /
PLACED BY / MAJOR GENERAL ROBERT HOWE CHAPTER, N.C.D.A.R.
February 22, 1949
34.338490 , -78.703750 View in Geobrowse
Folder 0296: Whiteville: Columbus County Courthouse: Scan 1, in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Smith, Justin. "James B. White Memorial Standing Again at Courthouse," The News Reporter (Whiteville, NC), nrcolumbus.com, December 20, 2019, (accessed August 24, 2021) Link
Waymarking.com "Columbus County's first state senator-Whiteville NC," Waymarking.com, (accessed June 11, 2014) Link
Young, Janice. "Whiteville." North Carolina History Project, (accessed June 11, 2014) Link
“James B. White Memorial Will Be Unveiled Today,” The News And Observer (Raleigh, NC), February 23, 1949
“Whiteville D.A.R. to Erect Marker,” The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), September 18, 1948
The Major General Robert Howe Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution
The North Carolina Senate was established in 1776. Each county elected one Senator to serve in the Senate beginning in 1777. The Courthouse dates from 1914-1915. James B. White (1774 1820), for whom Whiteville was named, was the first county's State Senator in 1809.
The monument is located to the left of the south entrance to the Columbus County Courthouse, on Madison and Washington St. circle in Whiteville, NC. Two more memorials stand outside the north entrance of the Columbus County courthouse -- Columbus County Bicentennial Monument and Columbus County Korea and Vietnam War Memorial.
The marker stands on a small area of lawn, in front of bushes to the left side of the steps leading into the south entrance of the courthouse building.