Columbus County Bicentennial Monument, Whiteville
This black marble monument stands on a low rectangular pedestal. The main body of the monument is circular near its base but tapers off to a point at the monument's top. Its inscription commemorates Columbus County's bicentennial anniversary.
COLUMBUS / BICENTENNIAL / CELEBRATING 200 YEARS 1808-2008 / PRESENTED BY / COLUMBUS COUNTY BICENTENNIAL COMMITTEE / NOVEMBER 22, 2008
November 22, 2008
34.338870 , -78.703550 View in Geobrowse
"Bicentennial year celebrated in Whiteville," WECT (accessed June 12, 2014) Link
Folder 0296: Whiteville: Columbus County Courthouse: Scan 1, in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Hotz, Amy. "Columbus County Celebrates 200 Years," Star News, Nov 19, 2008, starnewsonline.com, (accessed June 12, 2021) Link
North Carolina Legislature. "House Bill 1883 - Columbus County Bicentennial Funds" (accessed June 12, 2014) Link
Columbus County Bicentennial Committee
On Saturday, November 22, 2008, the celebration included a parade down Main Street, living history encampments and artillery demonstrations by colonial, Revolutionary War and Civil War re-enactors. Visitors fully appreciated 18th and 19th century games for the kids such as Blind Man’s Bluff, American Indian dancers and artisans, African-American history displays and vintage tractors and classic cars.
The monument is located outside the north entrance of the Columbus County courthouse in Whiteville, NC. It stands on the courthouse lot near the intersection of US-701 and Courthouse Circle. The Columbus County Korea and Vietnam War Memorial is at its right. Memorial to James B. White, for whom Whiteville was named, stands on the opposite entrance to the courthouse building.
The monument stands in a grass area between Courthouse Circle and the courthouse building.