Monument to 60th Regt. NC Volunteers, Asheville
The monument sets on a three tier base. The lower base constructed of unfinished granite blocks is eight feet square and topped with finished slabs of white marble. The second and third tiers are of white marble finished on top but with rough sides incised with a thatch pattern except for the inscription areas. The main body of the shaft which contains most of the inscriptions is obelisk shaped. Atop the shaft but below the Minie ball and pine log described below are two elements shaped like castle pediments with the smaller one stacked on top of the larger one.
According to Douglas Butler in North Carolina Civil War Monuments, this monument contains 680 words, dates, and initials carved into its four panels. “North Carolina” in massive ornate letters dominates the lower front panel while a stylized “NC” is carved in relief on each lateral side. Two flags with crossed staves adorn the front face; one with the “cross-barred” Confederate battle flag and the other with a modified state flag. The latter has inscribed, May 20, 1775, the date of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence. Atop the 25 feet tall structure is a carved Minié ball above a sculpted pine log. The Minié ball represents the infantry and the log the regiment’s native state.
Images: Front inscription | Vintage postcard with the monument in front of the Buncombe County Courthouse
Front, north face: BY THE / ASHEVILLE CHAPTER / OF THE / DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY
/ AND FRIENDS / THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED / COMMEMORATING THE HEROIC / PART TAKEN BY THE / 60TH REGT. N.C. VOLUNTEERS / IN THE GREAT BATTLE OF / CHICKMAUGA / SEPT. 20, 1863. / WHERE IT WAS GIVEN POST / OF HONOR BY / “STATE COMMISSION” APPOINTED / IN 1893. / TO LOCATE THE POSITION OF / EACH N.C. REGT IN THAT / BATTLE AND A MARKER / PLACED ON EAST MARGIN OF / LAFAYETTE PIKE / IN KELLY’S FIELD. / BEARING THIS INSCRIPTION. / THIS MARKS THE SPOT REACHED BY / THE 60TH REGT N.C. VOLUNTEERS ABOUT / ABOUT NOON ON SEPT. 20, 1863. THE FARTHEST / POINT ATTAINED BY CONFEDERATE TROOPS / IN THAT FAMOUS CHARGE
Side, west face: FIELD AND STAFF / OFFICERS PARTICIPATING IN / CHICKMAUGA BATTLE / [List of names] / COMPANY OFFICERS IN BATTLE / [List of names]
Side, east face: CAMPAIGNS AND BATTLES / OF THE 60TH N.C. REG. / 1861-1865 / [List of campaigns and battles with dates]
Rear, south face: BUNCOMBE’S WAR RECORD 1861-1865. / IT FURNISHED A GOVERNOR. Z. B. VANCE. / A CONFEDERATE CONGRESSMAN. A.T. DAVISON. / 2 GENERALS. R.B. VANCE & T.L. CLINGMAN. / 18 COLONELS: [List of Colonels] / 21 ½ COMPANIES AS FOLLOWS. / [List of companies and company officers]
Front, base: NORTH CAROLINA
November 8, 1905
35.596260 , -82.548770 View in Geobrowse
"Buncombe County Court House, Asheville, N.C." in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill. Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013) 66-71
Folder 0095: Asheville: Courthouse: Scan 3, in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Link
Hardy, Michael C. “Three of Asheville’s Confederate Monuments,” Looking for North Carolina’s Civil War, (accessed June 4, 2015) Link
Hunt, Max. "Debate over Asheville’s Confederate Memorials Continues," MountainExpress (Asheville, NC), mountainx.com, July 6, 2017, (accessed August 30, 2017) Link
North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. "Monument to 60th Regt. NC Volunteers," North Carolina Civil War Monuments, (accessed August 12, 2015) Link
“Monuments to Mountain Heroes,” Daily Industrial News (Greensboro, NC), November 9, 1905
“Three Shafts Are Unveiled,” The Morning Post (Raleigh, NC), November 9, 1905
White marble, granite
Veterans of the 60th NC Volunteer Regiment and their descendants paid for the monument. The granite base was donated by P.S. Henry
November 8, 1905 saw the unveiling of three monuments, all located on the grounds of the Buncombe County Courthouse. Last unveiled, the monument to the 60th NC Volunteers was draped in white and with eight ribbons hanging from the corners and held by eight little girls; grandchildren of regiment veterans. As the crowd sang, “In the Sweet Bye and Bye” the covering was removed. The monument to Colonel William B. Creasman had been unveiled first by either his descendants or grandchildren of soldiers from his unit the 29th NC Regiment. Next unveiled by members of the Robert E. Lee Chapter, Children of the Confederacy was the obelisk to General Thomas L. Clingman.
Due to poor weather the crowd was then moved inside the courthouse. The keynote address by Governor Robert B. Glenn was to “honor the memory of the brave men who carried the cross barred flag furthest in battle line.” (See subject notes).County Commissioner (later governor) Locke Craig accepted the monuments on behalf of the county with an “eloquent tribute to the soldiers.” Other notables present included Captain J.P. Harvey of Asheville and Colonel James M. Ray, acting commander of the 60th Regiment at Chickamauga. The event concluded with a benediction by Bishop A. Coke Smith. During the ceremony a collection was taken up to help complete payment of the Clingman and Creasman memorials. About 1,500 people were in attendance.
This was the first and only time in state history that multiple Civil War monuments were dedicated in a single event. The Thomas L. Clingman Monument and the Colonel C.B. Creasman Monument were relocated to cemeteries where General Clingman and Colonel Creasman were burried.
The phrase “First at Bethel; farthest to the front at Gettysburg and Chickamauga; last at Appomattox,” is known as North Carolina’s “Rebel Boast.” In a famous Confederate charge at the battle of Chickamauga on September 20, 1863 it was the 60th NC regiment that reached the furthest point which brought fame to the unit and inclusion in the boast.
The monuments stands in front of the Buncombe County Courthouse. College St. and Court Plaza, Asheville.
In the immediate area of the old Buncombe County Courthouse there are other notable plaques, monuments and memorials: Western North Carolina Veterans Memorial, Revolutionary War, Spanish American and other wars,
Police and Firemen who died in the line of duty, Medal of Honor recipient Lt. Colonel Robert Morgan and former Governor Samuel Ashe for whom Asheville was named. Several hundred yards to the west stands the monument to Zebulon Vance and several other small markers.
The memorial is surrounded by seasonal plantings and shrubbery.