Henderson County Revolutionary Soldiers, Hendersonville
The marker was formed from a large piece of granite rock cut roughly in the shape of a
rectangle and resting on a single stone base. The original bronze plaque has straight sides and
bottom and a serpentine top with the seal of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the
names of Revolutionary Soldiers known at the time (1956). The last name of William Sentell was
misspelled as Senter. A new bronze plaque was added below the original with six additional
names for the memorial’s rededication in 2008. A seventh name was added later. This marker is
one of nine memorials honoring Henderson County war dead that form “The Honor Walk” on
the grounds of the old Henderson County Courthouse.
Images: Far-off view of the memorial
Plaque, 1956: IN HONOR OF / REVOLUTIONARY SOLDIERS / BURIED IN / HENDERSON COUNTY
/ [Left column] WILLIAM CAPPS / WILLIAM SENTER / JAMES JOHNSON / SAMUEL KING / JAMES
BRITTAIN / ELIJAH WILLIAMSON /
[Right column] JOHN PETER CORN / JOSEPH HENRY / ANDREW MILLER / ABRAHAM KUYKENDALL / JESSE RICKMAN / JOEL BLACKWELL / ERECTED BY JOSEPH MCDOWELL CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF AMERICAN REVOLUTION
Plaque, 2008: DEDICATED NAMES ADDED 2008 / [Left column] WILLIAM ERWIN / NOBLE JOHNSTON / JOHN MERRELL /
[Right column] JOSEPH HENRY / MATTHEW MAYBIN / JACOB SHIPMAN / JAMES STEPP
Henderson County Heritage Museum
35.314440 , -82.460170 View in Geobrowse
"Revolutionary Soldiers," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed October 12, 2015) Link
Henderson County Heritage Museum, Hendersonville, NC., hendersoncountymuseum.com, (accessed October 3, 2015) Link
Kelly, Leigh. “Courthouse Ceremony Pays Tribute To Nation’s War Dead,” BlueRidgeNow.com, Times-News Online, April 14, 2008, (accessed October 1, 2015) Link
Schulman, Mark. “Courthouse Commemorates Veterans,” BlueRidgeNow.com, Times-News Online, April 10, 2008, (accessed October 1, 2015) Link
Joseph McDowell Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The original dedication was held in 1956 but Sunday afternoon, April 14, 2008, saw this
memorial and eight other markers honoring Henderson County war dead dedicated or re-dedicated. This ceremony was the culmination of a three day event to celebrate the ten million
dollar restoration of the historic Henderson County Courthouse and its re-dedication as the
home of the Henderson County Heritage Museum.
The Hendersonville Community Band played patriotic tunes while the crowd of over 200 sang along, prayed and listened to speakers and watched veterans lay wreaths on monuments honoring the fallen in all wars in American history. “What mean these stones?” asked George A. Jones, chairman of the Henderson County Heritage Museum Board. “We have erected them in honor of all of these. This should never be made in a light-hearted or frivolous manner. There’s too much blood, too much sacrifice, too much death they represent,” he answered to his own question. Representatives from the Joseph McDowell Chapter and Abraham Kuykendall Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution and Blue Ridge Chapter of Sons of the American Revolution laid a wreath at the ceremony.
The monument is located by the Henderson County Heritage Museum (Old Henderson County Courthouse) at 1 Historic Courthouse Square, Hendersonville NC. Several monuments are nearby, including Confederate Soldier Memorial, Union Soldiers Monument, War Memorial, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan monuments.
The marker stands on the lawn in front of the Historic Henderson County Courthouse.