Confederate Soldier Memorial, Hendersonville
The gray marble obelisk stands on a gray granite base with a total height of twenty feet. The foundation block is four feet square. The base is made of two blocks with the lower one three feet square by ten inches high. The top block with the inscription is two feet square by twenty five inches high with the obelisk resting on top. Identical inscriptions appear on the front and back.
Front: TO THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIER
Back: TO THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIER
August 25, 1903. Rededication: April 13, 2008
35.314440 , -82.460170 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 55-61
Henderson County Heritage Museum, Hendersonville, NC, (accessed October 3, 2022) Link
Kelley, Leigh. “Courthouse Ceremony Pays Tribute to Nation’s War Dead,” BlueRidgeNow.com, Times-News Online, April 14, 2008, (accessed October 1, 2015) Link
Schulman, Mark. “Courthouse Commemorates Veterans,” BlueRidgeNow.com, Times-News Online, April 10, 2008, (accessed October 1, 2015) Link
“Monument to Be Unveiled,” The Western North Carolina Times (Hendersonville, NC), August 21, 1903
“Monument to Confederates,” The Western North Carolina Times (Hendersonville, NC), June 10, 1902
Gray marble, granite
The Walt Bryson Camp of the United Confederate Veterans
A large crowd assembled at 3 p.m. on one of the hottest days of the year to view the unveiling. The program included prayer by Reverend M.W. Egerton and music by the Board of Trade band. The featured address was by Colonel Sidney Vance Pickens who was also treasurer of the fundraising committee. Mayor Williams gave an acceptance speech on behalf of the city and then nine youth drew aside a curtain from the monument. They were: Bessy Rickman, Lela Bracy, Dora Howe, Theo Hart, Bessie Hodges, Myrtle Hawkins, Anna Waldrop, Mary T. Howard and Lucy Bowden.
The monuments was rededicated on Sunday afternoon, April 13, 2008. That was the day when nine memorials honoring Henderson County veterans were dedicated or rededicated. This ceremony was the culmination of a three day event to celebrate the ten million dollar restoration of the historic Henderson County Courthouse and its rededication as the home of the Henderson County Heritage Museum. The Hendersonville Community Band played patriotic tunes while the crowd of over 200 sang along, prayed and listened to speakers and watched veterans lay wreaths on monuments honoring the fallen in all wars in American history. “What mean these stones?” asked George A. Jones, chairman of the Henderson County Heritage Museum Board. “We have erected them in honor of all of these. This should never be made in a light-hearted or frivolous manner. There’s too much blood, too much sacrifice, too much death they represent,” he answered to his own question.
The project, when announced, was to erect a monument to the memory of every “Confederate soldier from Maine to Texas.” It was also noted that “the men who wore the blue and gray are brothers again. It is right that the brave men who laid down their lives on both sides of the question should be remembered.”
The Old Henderson County Courthouse is now home to the Henderson County Heritage Museum. Beginning with the Confederate Monument on the right a series of tributes to veterans called “The Honor Walk” extends towards and around the left side of the building. The Confederate monument is the oldest. It was rededicated on April 13, 2008.
The monument is located by the Henderson County Heritage Museum (Old Henderson County Courthouse) at 1 Historic Courthouse Square, Hendersonville NC. Several monuments are nearby, including Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial, Union Soldiers Monument, War Memorial, World War I, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, Gulf War, Iraq and Afghanistan monuments.
The marker stands on the lawn in front of the Historic Henderson County Courthouse.