Hertford County WWI Memorial, Winton
A large granite slab with rough cut edges sits directly on the ground. The marker is approximately four feet high and three feet wide. A WWI era artillery piece stands on the left of the slab.
The M1902, a.k.a. M1905 3-inch gun (76.2mm) was the U.S. Army’s first steel, rifled, breech loading, quick-firing field gun.
Images: WWI era artillery piece
1915 THE WORLD WAR 1918 / ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF / HERTFORD COUNTY HEROES / WHO FREELY GAVE THEIR ALL / TO THEIR COUNTRY’S CALL / ERECTED BY THE / SCHOOLS OF / HERTFORD COUNTY
September 27, 1923
36.397030 , -76.933120 View in Geobrowse
"Hertford County WWI Memorial," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed July 14, 2015) Link
“Hertford to Unveil Memorial for Dead,” The News And Observer (Raleigh, NC), September 12, 1923
“Plan War Memorial,” The News And Observer (Raleigh, NC), April 15, 1923
“To Unveil Monument to Soldier Dead,” The News And Observer (Raleigh, NC), September 23, 1923
“Will Build Memorial Marker,” The News And Observer (Raleigh, NC), July 15, 1923
Schools of Hertford County and United Daughters of the Confederacy District 16 Chapters
J.C.B. Ehringhaus of Elizabeth City gave the principal address at a day of activities arranged by the District 16 United Daughters of the Confederacy Chapters. Along with World War One veterans, living Confederate veterans were jointly invited to the public exercises. World War One veteran W. Dare Boone received the memorial marker on behalf of the county.
Approximately half of the funds for the memorial were raised through contests held at Hertford County schools. Public appeals were made for the remainder with seven local banks pledging to contribute any shortfall. Although the memorial states it was erected by Hertford County schools, the monument was in fact a project of three local chapters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The monument is located in front of the Hertford County Courthouse, at the intersection of N King and Cross Streets in Winton, NC 27987. The Confederate Soldiers Monument stands on the other side of the County Courthouse building at the intersection of N. King and Tryon Streets.
The marker stands on the lawn under a tree, very close to the road.