The Battle of Ramsour’s Mill, Lincolnton
At the north end of the square, facing North Aspen Street, is a large rock with an embedded plaque
honoring the Battle of Ramsour’s Mill, which was fought a half mile to the north on June 20, 1780.
Exactly 150 years later, the Jacob Forney Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, installed
Half a mile north from here was fought / The Battle of Ramsour's Mill / between the Whigs and Tories, June 20, 1780. / Colonel Francis Locke / Commanded the Whig Army / This marker is placed by / the Jacob Forney Chapter D.A.R. June 20, 1930.
June 20, 1930
35.471960 , -81.257280 View in Geobrowse
"The Battle of Ramsour's Mill," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed July 18, 2015) Link
Barefoot, Daniel W. "Ramsour's Mill, Battle of," NCpedia.org, (accessed August 2, 2021) Link
Lincoln County Historical Association, Lincolnton, NC. "The Battle of Ramsour’s Mill," (accessed July 18, 2021) Link
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Department of Cultural Resources. “Lincolnton Commercial Historic District,” North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office, (accessed February 1, 2020) Link
Ramsour's Mill Battle Letter, 1849, in the Ramsour's Mill Battle Letter, #617-z, Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Link
The Jacob Forney Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution
The Revolutionary War battle at Ramsour's Mill in Lincoln County took place on 20 June 1780. 400 Militia Patriots under the leadership of Colonel Francis Locke defeated Lt. Colonel John Moore and 1400 Tories.
At battle's end, over 100 men lay dead. The unclaimed dead were buried in a mass grave on the hill.
"The Battle of Ramsour's Mill effectively disrupted Tory support for the British war effort in the region. Not only did it rob Cornwallis of badly needed Loyalist assistance when he crossed into North Carolina; it also provided the impetus and inspiration for the crucial Patriot victory that was to follow less than 30 miles away at the Battle of King's Mountain on 7 Oct. 1780" (see more Battle of Ramsour's Mill")
Nowadays, the mass grave site and the graves of several of the officers who fell in the battle have been marked through the efforts of historical groups and individuals.
The marker is located at the intersection of Court Square and North Aspen Street, on the left when traveling west on Court Square. It stands on the North side of the Lincoln County courthouse in Lincolnton, NC.
The surrounding courthouse square is dotted with historic monuments, including the Lincoln County Veterans Memorial and Confederate Monument, both located at the western entrance of the building. The Lincoln County War Memorial stands at the eastern entrance of the courthouse. The monument to Admiral Rufus Z. Johnston, Medal of Honor, is located to the right of the western entrance of the Lincoln County courthouse.
The rock with embedded plaque sits on the lawn under shady trees.