Surry County Confederate Dead Monument, Oakdale Cemetery, Mount Airy
The granite monument stands on a single base in the form of a gravestone with a gable top.
Incised on the front is a soldier standing at attention with his weapon.
Images: Back inscription
Front: 1861 1865 / IN MEMORY OF THE / CONFEDERATE DEAD OF / SURRY COUNTY ERECTED
/ BY THE MOUNT AIRY CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE / CONFEDERACY NUMBER 581 /
JANUARY 30, 1950
City of Mount Airy
January 30, 1950
36.516270 , -80.604380 View in Geobrowse
"Memorial to Confederate Dead - Mount Airy, North Carolina." Waymarking.com, (access October 14, 2015) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 216-217
Mount Airy Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy
Oakdale Cemetery dates to the late 1800’s and is located in the northern part of Mount Airy surrounded by residential neighborhoods. Its 22 acres contain more than 6,000 burial sites.
The monument is located at the entrance to the Oakdale cemetery, on 1445 State Rd 1708, not far from the intersection with Old Springs Road, Mount Airy, NC. The World War One memorial stands nearby, one block south of the intersection of N. Main Street and E. Oakdale Street. It stands to the right of an entry road into the cemetery.
The memorial sits on the grass surrounded by trees and shrubbery.