Pamlico County Confederate Memorial, Bayboro
The memorial is dedicated to Confederate dead and consists of a bronze plaque attached to
a lectern shaped block of granite standing several feet tall. The plaque, in addition to the
inscription, is adorned with a Southern Cross of Honor.
1861 1865 / DEO VINDICE / IN MEMORY OF / OUR CONFEDERATE DEAD / ERECTED BY / NEUSE CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY / 1939
April 26, 1940
35.142840 , -76.770960 View in Geobrowse
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013) 205, 224, 227
Folder 1200: Bayboro: Pamlico County Courthouse, circa 1950s-1960s: Scan 1, in the North Carolina County Photographic Collection #P0001, North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
“Images For Pamlico County, North Carolina,” CourthouseHistory.com, (accessed September 25, 2015) Link
“Pamlico County Confederate Memorial in Bayboro North Carolina.” Waymarking.com, (accessed September 23, 2015) Link
“Pamlico County Courthouse and Memorials,” NCGenweb, (accessed September 22, 2015) Link
Neuse Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy
Although the marker is dated 1939, the actual dedication ceremony took place on April 26, 1940. The featured speaker was the Rev. Charles E. Williams.
The monument is located at the Pamlico County Courthouse, 202 Main Street in Bayboro, NC. It stands to the left of the entrance. The Pamlico County Honor Roll memorial is to the right of the building entrance.
The marker sits on the front lawn of the courthouse building.