World War II Glider Pilots and Air Assault Personnel Memorial, Maxton
The memorial bronze plaque is attached to a flat arched granite slab standing approximately five feet tall.
In relief above the inscription is a World War II era military glider. In relief below the inscription
are representations of an Army Glider Pilot badge and an Army Airborne Glider badge.
Images: Bronze plaque
IN MEMORY OF COMBAT GLIDER PILOTS AND OTHER / AIRBORNE ASSUALT PERSONNEL WHO
TRAINED AT THE / LAURINGBURG-MAXTON ARMY AIR FIELD DURING WORLD / WAR II. THIS
MEMORIAL IS DEDICATED TO THE BRAVE / YOUNG AMERICANS, ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO IN
/ LARGE NUMBERS GAVE THEIR LIVES IN DEFENSE OF / FREEDOM DURING THE BLOODY
AIRBORNE OPERATIONS / OF WORLD WAR II.
THE LAURINBURG-MAXTON ARMY AIR FIELD WAS ONE OF / THE MAJOR COMBAT GLIDER TRAINING BASES IN / AMERICA BETWEEN OCTOBER 1942 AND APRIL 1945, / DURING WORLD WAR II.
ERECTED BY: SCOTLAND COUNTY ASSOCIATION OF MILITARY RETIREES AND / NATIONAL WORLD WAR II GLIDER PILOTS ASSOCIATION 11-11-1989
Laurinburg-Maxton Airport Commission
November 11, 1989
34.796540 , -79.368490 View in Geobrowse
"Laurinburg-Maxton Air Base," The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed February 3, 2016) Link
“The National World War II Glider Pilots Association, Inc.,” The National World War II Glider Pilots Association, www.ww2gp.org/, (accessed January 27, 2016) Link
“World War II Glider Pilots And Air Assault Personnel Memorial,” Waymarking.com, (accessed January 27, 2016) Link
Scotland County Association of Military Retirees and National World War II Glider Pilots Association
This air field was given to the towns of Laurinburg and Maxton after World War II. It is still used by the US Army Parachute Team, The Golden Knights, when training and practicing for competitions.
The airport street address is 16701 Airport Road, Maxton, NC which is a Robeson County address, although the airport proper is in Scotland County. This airport is used for local and commercial purposes with no passenger service.
The marker stands to the left of the airport terminal in front of a chain link fence that surrounds the runways.