Cabarrus Black Boys Fountain, Concord
The bronze fountain has two tiers, a small basin on top with a slightly larger basin below, and is
decorated with floral designs. The fountain stands in the center of a small circular concrete pool. A 2015
restoration saw the fountain returned to working condition. The bronze inscription plaque was originally
attached to the pool’s edge but during restoration was attached to a small lectern shaped granite block.
Images: Bronze plaque
IN MEMORIAM / THE CABARRUS BLACK BOYS / WHO DESTROYED THE BRITISH AMMUNITION / MAY 17, 1771 / IN DEFENSE OF AMERICAN LIBERTY / ERECTED BY THE CABARRUS BLACK BOYS CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / MAY 1916
Historic Cabarrus Association, Inc.
June 22, 1916. Rededication: September 2015
35.409330 , -80.579730 View in Geobrowse
Joyce, Jay. "Mecklenburg Helps Mark DAR Historic Fountain," Sept. 21, 2015, (accessed July 14, 2021) Link
Knox, Michael. “DAR Fighting to Fund Restoration of Historic Fountain,” Independent Tribune (Concord, NC), August 14, 2014, (accessed January 26, 2016) Link
“Cabarrus Black Boys Fountain,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed January 26, 2016) Link
“Cabarrus County Court House, Concord, N.C.," in North Carolina Postcard Collection (P052), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, (accessed November 8, 2013) Link
“Honoring the Cabarrus Black Boys,” Salisbury Evening Post (Salisbury, NC), May 23, 1916, 4
“Unveiling of Fountain,” The Concord Daily Tribune (Concord, NC), June 15, 1916, 1
Cabarrus Black Boys Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The original cost is between $200 and $300. The public and private initiatives raised more than $25,000 for the fountain to be restored.
The dedication began with a welcoming address by W.R. Odell. The keynote address by the
Reverend E.P., a descendant of one of the Black Boys, followed. The fountain was presented by
Mrs. William Flowe and unveiled by William Flowe and Willie White. The fountain was accepted
by M.H. Caldwell and the benediction delivered by Reverend T.W. Smith. Music included “My
Country ‘Tis Of Thee” and the “Old North State.”
The fountain had fallen into ill repair and a public/private initiative was established in late 2014 to restore and rebuild the fountain. In September 2015, approximately 110 DAR, SAR, community leaders and general public attended the fountain rededication ceremony.
Nine young men from the Rocky River community had learned the British were sending a shipment of gunpowder from Charleston, South Carolina to Hillsboro, North Carolina to aid in quelling the Regulator Movement that had small farmers protesting the corruption of sheriffs and court officials appointed by the Royal Governor. The men blackened their faces and dressed as Indians to disguise themselves. They intercepted three wagons hauling the gunpowder and were able to blow up the shipment. Their efforts were a day late as the Regulator Movement had been crushed a day early on May 16 at the Battle of Alamance. The Regulator War and Battle of Alamance are considered by many to be the opening salvo of the Revolutionary War.
The fountain stands at the side of the old Cabarrus County Courthouse and faces Means Avenue SE. The Cabarrus County Confederate Soldiers Monument is on its right, in front of the courthouse, 65 Union Street South in Concord, NC.
The fountain sits on the lawn, surrounded by evergreen bushes.
The fountain was originally located in front of the courthouse building and to the right of the Cabarrus County Confederate Soldiers Monument.