George Washington Tree Plaque, Lumberton
The memorial plaque is an irregular shaped slab of granite approximate three feet high and
two feet wide. It is attached to a brick wall at a small brick paved courtyard behind the Robeson
County Courthouse. The tree originally planted was a “sturdy cedar”. The 1932 historic courthouse was
torn down in 1974 and reopened in 1977. The tree behind the wall with memorial plaque is not cedar and was planted during the courthouse reconstruction time.
Images: Far-off view of the plaque | Courtyard with the War Memorial and other markers
GEORGE WASHINGTON / TREE / 1732-BICENTENNIAL-1932 / LUMBEE STUDY CLUB
February 22, 1932
34.620200 , -79.007840 View in Geobrowse
"Robeson County Court House, Lumberton, N.C." Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill Link
“Lumbee Club Plants Living Memorial to George Washington,” The Robesonian (Lumberton, NC), February 22, 1932, 6
Lumbee Study Club
For the dedication, Boy Scout Troops 29 and 30 were present to assist with the planting. The dedicatory speech was given by Mrs. Fred Townsend, President of the Lumbee Study Club. She stated that the purpose of the club was to honor not only George Washington but also contribute to the beauty of the community. Mrs. J.R. Poole read the poem “To A Tree” by Joyce Kilmer.
In 1932 the American Tree Association encouraged the planting of trees throughout the United States to commemorate the bicentennial of George Washington’s birth.
The George Washington Tree plaque is in a courtyard behind the Robeson County Courthouse that is located at 500 N. Elm Street, Lumberton.
The courtyard occupies the corner of N. Court Square Street and N. Chestnut Street. This courtyard contains the Robeson County War Memorial and plaques to Colonel Thomas Robeson, George G. McPhail, Jr., and General John Willis. Also behind the courthouse to the left of the courtyard is an Appalachian Indian Road (Boone Trail Highway) plaque attached to a large arrowhead.
In front of the Courthouse is the Confederate Monument.
A 1939 bronze plaque to Robeson County War Dead is located inside the courthouse. It replaced a wooden painted tablet placed in March 1919.
The paved courtyard with the memorial and plaques is surrounded by bushes and trees.