“High Point” Marker, High Point
The marker is a low lectern shaped piece of granite on single base with a simple bronze plaque. The City of High Point logo appears above the inscription.
APPROXIMATELY 424 FEET WEST SOUTHWEST LIES / THE GEOGRAPHIC “HIGH POINT” BETWEEN / GOLDSBORO AND CHARLOTTE. IDENTIFIED / BY THE SURVEY CREW FOR THE NORTH / CAROLINA RAILROAD ABOUT 1849, THE / ELEVATION BECAME THE CITY NAMESAKE / UPON THE GRANTING OF A CITY CHARTER / ON / MAY 26, 1859 / DEDICATED ON THE 125TH / ANNIVERSARY OF THE CITY / MAY 26, 1984
May 26, 1984
35.957430 , -80.005610 View in Geobrowse
“High Point,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed February 23, 2016) Link
The marker is located on a brick patio outside the restored High Point Train depot on the corner of W. High Street and N. Main Street along with the Plank Road Foreman statue. On the corner across E. High Street is a plaque to General Maxwell Reid Thurman. A brick plaza, or, Memorial Park, at the corner of N. Main Street and E. High Avenue, includes several monuments and markers: Veterans Memorial, Revolutionary War Patriots, POW/MIA plaque, African American Gold Star plaque, World War Two Honor Roll, WWI Doughboy statue.