Revolutionary War Plaque, War Memorial Hall, Gastonia
A simple bronze plaque is attached to a wall near the entrance of the historic Gaston County Memorial Hall. The plaque’s only adornment is the spinning wheel insignia of the Daughters of the American Revolution. It is dated 1915 but the dedication was not held until February 1916.
1775 1783 / IN HONOR / OF / THE HEROES OF THIS SECTION / WHO FOUGHT IN THE WAR /
OF / THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / THAT THEY AND THEIR DESCENDANTS / MIGHT ENJOY /
CIVIL AND RELIGIOUS FREEDOM
ERECTED BY / THE WILLIAM GASTON CHAPTER / DAUGHTERS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION / GASTONIA, N.C. / 1915
City of Gastonia and American Legion Post 23
February 22, 1916
35.260310 , -81.182820 View in Geobrowse
“American Military Museum,” Visit Gaston County, (accessed March 10, 2016) Link
“Community Center, Gastonia, N.C.,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
“Historical Sketch,” The Gastonia Gazette (Gastonia, NC), February 25, 1916, 4
“Post Office And First National Bank, Gastonia, N.C.,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
“Program For Unveiling Exercise.” The Gastonia Gazette (Gastonia, NC), February 15, 1916, 4
“Unveil Bronze Tablet,” The Gastonia Gazette (Gastonia, NC), February 22, 1916, 1
William Gaston Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The dedication day speakers focused on historical events. Mrs. G.A. Sparrow of the William Gaston Chapter D.A.R. delivered a historical sketch on the history of the Daughters of the American Revolution. She was followed by Mrs. J.F. Thompson who spoke about North Carolina heroes of the Revolution. After Mrs. Thompson’s speech the plaque was unveiled by four young girls and then several speeches of acceptance followed.
The plaque is attached to an outside wall near the entry door to the Gaston County War Memorial Hall at 109 W. 2nd Ave, Gastonia, NC. The Memorial Hall was dedicated in 1930 to honor veterans of all wars. This building now houses an American Military Museum. Several other military related markers and memorials are attached to the building walls and occupy the grounds around the building. World War One Memorial is located in front of and to the right of the Memorial Hall. World War I and II Dead Plaque stands at the sidewalk directly in front of the building.
The plaque was originally located in the loggia of the newly constructed post office building located on the 100 block of W. Main Avenue to the left of the First National Bank Building. By 1970 the post office was considered government surplus and at some point was demolished. It is not known when the plaque was relocated. The First National Bank Building is still standing.