Wilkes County Confederate Memorial, Wilkesboro
The memorial is a smooth faced granite slab with rusticated sides on a single base. It rests on a
small half oval shaped brick patio in front of a low brick retaining wall. The top of the marker
steps up to form a square center block. This block frames an incised Confederate battle flag.
Inscribed around the flag is “Sons of Confederated Veterans 1896.”
As the inscription states, the monument is dedicated to the memory of veterans who "defended their southern homeland against Northern Aggression."
Images: Far-off view | Inscription | With flag poles
IN REMEMBRANCE OF THE WILKES COUNTY VETERANS OF / THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF
AMERICA, WHO DEFENDED / THEIR SOUTHERN HOMELAND AGAINST NORTHERN AGGRESSION
/ MAY THEIR BRAVERY, LOYALTY, HONOR AND CHRISTIAN / VALUES CONTINUE TO LIVE IN ALL
WILKES COUNTY / CITIZENS.
DEDICATED BY THE BRIGADIER JAMES B. GORDON, / SONS OF CONFEDERATE VETERANS CAMP #810. / MAY 9, 1998 /
[Left column] R.G. ABSHER / WILLIAM M. ATWOOD / LEONARD L. BROOKS JR. (ADJUTANT) / VERNON CARLTON / GEORGE CHILDERS / KENNETH CHILDERS (COLOR SERGEANT) / GARY W. COFFEY (CMDR.) / RICKIE E. COFFEY (HISTORIAN) / WAYNE M. COFFEY (CHAPLIN) / MICHAEL COOPER / TODD CRAIG (2 ND LT. CMDR.) / JOHN W. ELLEDGE / ISAAC G. FORESTER / WILLIAM C. GRAY JR. / JAMES S. HARTLEY / GARY L. HENDREN / REGINALD F. HILL JR. /
[Right column] ANDY J. JOHNSON / EDWARD L. JOHNSON / ANDREW L. KILBY JR. / JOHN A KILBY SR. / JOHN T. KILBY / LARRY S. KILBY (SURGEON) / JOEL D. LASTER / GREGORY P. LUCK (JUDGE ADVOCATE) / ALBERT MCGEE / THOMAS P. MCNEIL (TREASURER) / WILLIAM PHILLIPS / RALPH D. PITTMAN / JOHNNY R. STURGILL / EDSEL H. THOMPSON / MICHAEL H. THOMPSON (1 ST LT. CMDR.) / FREDERIC A. WILKIE JR. / HOWARD COLVARD
Wilkes Heritage Museum
May 9, 1998
36.149130 , -81.152070 View in Geobrowse
Brigadier James B. Gordon Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #810
Built in 1859, the Old Wilkes Jail (203 N. Bridge Street) was in use as a jail until 1915 and now serves as a history museum. One famous inmate, Tom Dula (of the famous ballad “Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley”) was incarcerated here until a change of venue was obtained by his defense attorney, former Governor Zebulon Vance. The old Wilkes County jail is one of the best preserved examples of nineteenth century penal architecture in North Carolina.
The memorial stands just a few feet off the street next to a parking space in front of the Old Wilkes County Jail located at 203 North Bridge Street, Wilkesboro, NC 28697. The building serves as a museum and is operated by the Wilkes Heritage Museum located a block south on E. Main Street where additional historical makers and monuments can be found, including Cannon Circle, Veterans Memorial, Daniel Boone’s Trail marker, Time Capsule and two Tory Oaks markers. Colonel Ben Cleveland Statue is in close proximity on the 100 block of North Bridge Street.
Bushes and seasonal greenery serve as a backdrop for the memorial.