Pitt County Veterans Memorial, Greenville
Clifton-Clifton Monuments, Elizabeth City, NC, Builder
This Veterans Memorials is the centerpiece of a grouping of memorials to Pitt County war dead
that includes a World War One, World War Two, Korean War dead marker and Vietnam, Iraqi
War dead marker originally located at the county courthouse along with a Fallen Soldier
memorial. The marker is a granite stele with a flat arch top on a single base. The base and
marker stands roughly seven feet tall. The stele has a simple inscription and the seal of five
branches of service incised into the granite. Moving clockwise from the noon position are the
Army, Airforce, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard. Behind the memorial grouping are six flag
It was discovered in 2005 that the Latin motto for the Marines, "Semper Fidelis," or "always faithful," was misspelled as "Semper Fider" on the monument and the Coast Guard's "Semper Paratus", which translates to "Always Ready", was also misspelled as "Semper Haratus."
IN HONOR / OF / AMERICAN VETERANS
Greenville City Recreation and Parks
May 29, 1989
35.615330 , -77.371940 View in Geobrowse
Batchlelor, Scott. “Misspellings Plague Monument,” The Daily Reflector (Greenville, NC) May 30, 2005
“Recreation And Park Facilities,” Greenville North Carolina, (accessed September 2, 2016) Link
Pitt County Veterans Council
$1,600 for engraving. The stone was donated.
The Pitt County Veterans Memorial is located on the Town Commons, at 105 E. 1st Street in Greenville, NC. Other memorials at this location include a Fallen Soldier memorial, the Old Brickell Cannon, World War One, World War Two, Korean War memorial, Vietnam, Iraqi Freedom memorial, and a Millennial Sundial.
The Town Common features 21 acres of open green space located adjacent to the Uptown Greenville District. The Town Common is connected to the South Greenville Greenway by paved walk-ways, the Town Creek Bridge, a 1500-foot river walk and WWI Memorial Bridge along the Tar River.
Annual Memorial Day, July 4th and Veterans Day activities take place on the Town Commons.