Andrew Johnson Birthplace, Raleigh
The Andrew Johnson Birthplace marker is a nearly one ton granite bolder roughhewn into the form of a headstone with a flat arch top. The simple unadorned bronze plaque is inset into the stone.
Images: Street view | Commemorative plaque
125 FEET EAST OF THIS POINT / ANDREW JOHNSON / SEVENTEENTH PRESIDENT / WAS BORN DEC. 29, 1808
City of Raleigh
September 4, 1928
35.778540 , -78.639080 View in Geobrowse
Cross, Jerry L. “Andrew Johnson Birthplace,” NCPedia.org, (accessed November 30, 2016) Link
Morris, John. “Another Marker Returns (Sort of),” Goodnight Raleigh, http://goodnightraleigh.com, (accessed November 30, 2016) Link
“1834 Birthplace, Andrew Johnson’s Raleigh, NC,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
“Andrew Johnson Birth Site,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed November 30, 2016) Link
“Andrew Johnson Birthplace – Raleigh, North Carolina,” PresidentsUSA.net, (accessed November 30, 2016) Link
Andrew Johnson Memorial Association
The dedication service began one block away in the State Capital building with former Navy Secretary Josephus Daniels presiding. Speakers were Johnson biographer, Judge Robert W. Winston, and Col. Andrews J. Patterson a grandson of President Johnson. The actual unveiling was done by Miss Johnson Margaret Patterson of Greenville, Tennessee, a great-granddaughter of the President.
The building thought to be the birthplace of Andrew Johnson is extant. It has been relocated several times in its history and now resides in Mordecai Historic Park near downtown Raleigh.
The marker is located on the east side of the 100 block of Fayetteville Street, Raleigh, NC, along a footpath that runs between the Empire Properties Building and a parking deck.
The memorial stands at a corner of a building, surrounded by bushes.
It was originally located in front of the Ambassador Theater that stood at the north end of the 100 block of Fayetteville Street and was removed in the mid-1970s during the conversion of that street into a pedestrian mall.