Cannon Circle, Wilkesboro
The Cannon Circle is a monument to historical preservation in the form of an 1891 Liege Gun, (Belgium made artillery piece) on large concrete circle. The gun is painted black and carried on wooden wheels. Steel post linked with chain surround the gun. Beneath the barrel is short granite, lectern top block with the bronze plaque holding inscription.
Images: Side view | Plaque
THE CANNON CIRCLE / GIVEN TO ENHANCE HISTORICAL PRESERVATION BY / DR. RON AND SUE COHN / IN HONOR OF THEIR CHILDREN / SETH, WHITNEY, ARIEL AND GRAYSON
Wilkes Heritage Museum
36.148690 , -81.151460 View in Geobrowse
North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Department of Cultural Resources. "Downtown Wilkesboro Historic District," National Register of Historic Places, (accessed January 17, 2017) Link
“1891 Liege Gun,” Waymarking.com, (accessed December 28, 2016) Link
“Wilkes County Courthouse, Wilkesboro, N. C,” in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (PO77), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Link
Steel, concrete, bronze, granite
Dr. Ron and Sue Cohn
is located at the Wilkes Heritage Museum, at the corner of E. Main and Broad Street in Wilkesboro, NC. The museum building was the former Wilkes County Courthouse. Memorials on the museum grounds include a Veterans Memorial, Daniel Boone’s Trail marker, Time Capsule and two Tory Oaks markers. A Roads and Schools plaque is attached to the old courthouse wall near the entrance. One block away is the Wilkes County Confederate Memorial. Colonel Ben Cleveland Statue is in close proximity on the 100 block of North Bridge Street.
The memorial stands on the front lawn of the historic Wilkes County Courthouse building.