Confederate Monument, Asheboro
Blue Pearle Granite Co. , Supplier
W.H. Mullins Company, Salem, OH, Supplier
A bronze Confederate soldier stands atop a 25'10" pedestal with a 9'6" square granite base. The soldier looks into the distance and step forward with his left foot while resting his weight on his musket.
Front: 1861-1865 / Erected 1911 under the auspices of Randolph County Chapter U.D.C. / "Lest We Forget" / Our Confederate Heroes
September 2, 1911
35.706110 , -79.813100 View in Geobrowse
"For Unveiling Day," The Courier (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911, 3 Link
"Landmark #1," Notes on the History of Randolph County, NC, (accessed Jan 19, 2012) Link
"Randolph Confederate Soldiers Monument," Markeroni.com, (accessed January 19, 2012) Link
Baity, Crystal. “’Hugo’ Returns Home,” The Courier-Tribune (Asheboro, NC), January 25, 1990, 1A
Underwood, William. "E. E. Moffitt, 1836-1930," Documenting the American South (from Dictionary of North Carolina Biography edited by William S. Powell), (accessed February 2, 2012) Link
Whately, Mack. “Randolph County Courthouse #7," Randolph County, (accessed February 2, 2012) Link
“Confederate Monument,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), July 20, 1911 Link
“Mr. E.L. Moffit’s Speech at Unveiling,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), Sept. 14, 1911 Link
“Randolph Chapter of U.D.C.,” The Courier (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911 Link
“Randolph County’s Unveiling Day,” The Courier, (Asheboro, NC), September 7, 1911 Link
The base is made of Mt. Airy granite. The figure is bronze.
The monument was sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, headed by Elvira Worth Walker Moffitt, who was the daughter of Jonathan Worth, Randolph County’s only Governor of North Carolina.
The soldier was nicknamed “Hugo,” after the hurricane that knocked it down in September 1989.
In memorial to the Confederate veterans of Randolph County.
Located in front of the Randolph County Courthouse facing south.
The monument was toppled off of its pedestal by Hurricane Hugo in September of 1989. It was discovered that the internal structure (the internal armature reinforcing rods) had been damaged by rust. The monument was repaired by Adrien Van Der Staak and rededicated January 24, 1990.