Jefferson Davis Camp, Concord
The Jefferson Davis Camp marker consists of a rectangular bronze tablet attached to a large, low to the ground, rounded boulder. In relief in the center of the tablet are three flags, the Confederate battle flag, the North Carolina State flag of the Confederacy and the national flag of the Confederacy. Although the tablet is dated 1939, news reports have the dedication as June 1941. Overgrown and ignored the area around the marker was properly landscaped and then rededicated in 2012.
MARKED BY THE DODSON RAMSEUR CHAPTER / UNITED DAUGHTERS OF THE CONFEDERACY 1939
ON THIS SITE / AFTER THE EVACUATION OF RICHMOND / JEFFERSON DAVIS / PRESIDENT OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA / WITH HIS PERSONAL STAFF AND CABINET / CAMPED APRIL 18, 1865. / DISMOUNTING HE HITCHED HIS HORSE / TO A TREE WHICH STOOD ON THIS SPOT.
City of Concord
June 3, 1941. Rededication: June 24, 2012
35.429520 , -80.599030 View in Geobrowse
Knox, Michael. “Rededicated Marker Shows Where Jefferson Davis Hitched His Horse,” Independent Tribune (Concord, NC), June 27, 2012, (accessed June 22, 2017) Link
Stokes Matt. 2007. “Last Days of the Confederacy: Jefferson Davis In Greensboro And Charlotte, April 1865,” NCPedia.org, (accessed June 22, 2017) Link
“Jefferson Davis Camp,” The Historical Marker Database, HMdb.org, (accessed June 22, 2017) Link
Dodson Ramseur Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy
On June 24, 2012, the Concord Mayor Scott Padgett talked to a crowd of Civil War enthusiasts at the ceremony to rededicate the Jefferson Davis Historic Marker in Concord. The ceremony was organized by Lois Marlow with the Coltrane Harris Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
After Richmond fell on April 3, 1865, Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America, and his advisors fled the city on the railroad headed south, eventually spending 15 days in North Carolina. In route from Greensboro to Charlotte, the party spent the night of April 18 in Concord at the home of Confederate sympathizer Judge Victor C. Barringer on North Union Street.
The marker is on Earl Ave NE just north of Church Street in Concord, NC. It is on the right when traveling north from Church Street.
The marker rests next to a utility pole between a used car lot and former single family dwelling now used for a business. Industrial buildings are across the street.