Confederate Monument, Warrenton
W. H. Mullins Company, Salem, OH, Foundry
Cooper Brothers, Raleigh, NC, Builder
This monument to the confederate soldiers is located on the Warren Court House Square. The monument is a stone obelisk with a plaque on the bottom dedicating it to Confederate soldiers. On top of the obelisk is an older bearded confederate soldier holding a gun.
Front: ERECTED TO THE CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS OF WARREN COUNTY, 1861-1865 / NO BRAVER BLED / FOR BETTER LAND / NOR BETTER LAND / HAD CAUSE SO GRAND / LORD GOD OF HOSTS / BE WITH US YET. / LEST WE FORGET! / LEST WE FORGET! / OUR HEROES
October 27, 1913
36.398440 , -78.155450 View in Geobrowse
"Court House and Confederate Monument, Warrenton, North Carolina," in Durwood Barbour Collection of North Carolina Postcards (P077), North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives, Wilson Library, UNC-Chapel Hill, (accessed December 10, 2012) Link
"To the Confederate Soliders of Warren County," Waymarking.com, (accessed January 19, 2012) Link
Butler, Douglas J. North Carolina Civil War Monuments, An Illustrated History, (Jefferson, NC: McFarland & Company, Inc., 2013), 129-130
Emmanuel Episcopal Church. 20 April 1861 Sunrise Service Centennial, (Warrenton, NC: Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 1961), (accessed February 8, 2012) Link
United Daughters of the Confederacy, North Carolina Division. Minutes of the Eighteenth Annual Convention of the United Daughters of the Confederacy North Carolina Division, Held at Raleigh, North Carolina, October 14, 15, 16, 1914 (Goldsboro, N.C.: Nash Bros. Printers and Binders, 1914), 100, (accessed September 6, 2012) Link
“Mr. C.G. Moore,” The Warren Record (Warrenton, NC), November 7,1913
“Warren’s Golden Day.,” The Warren Record (Warrenton, NC), October 31 ,1913
Stamped sheet copper with antique bronze finish, granite shaft and base
This monument was constructed by the Warren Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy and Sons of Warren.
Former Governor Robert Glenn was orator for the dedication. Commissioner Charles G. Moore accepted the memorial on behalf of the county and spoke on the legacy of the Confederate soldier. He declared that the South was "richer today than if the demon of strife had never wasted on high places . . . Providence will never permit such seas of blood to have been shed in vain." The daughter of a Confederate veteran unveiled the monument. The band played "America," "The Star-Spangled Banner," "Carolina," and "Dixie."
Mass produced stamped copper statues were inexpensive compared to bronze but often passed off as such. News reports on these statues rarely if ever reported they were of copper. It was also not announced that these statues were frequently manufactured in a Northern factory. Other examples of W.H. Mullins statues can be found in Asheboro, Albemarle, Greenville, Pittsboro and Sylva.
The monument is located in front of the Warren County courthouse on the square.
This monument stands on the lawn surrounded by mature trees.