First Albemarle Assembly, Elizabeth City
The memorial marker is a rectangular tombstone style block of granite on a single granite base. The front face is polished with the remaining surfaces roughhewn.
THE / FIRST ALBEMARLE ASSEMBLY / MET HERE, FEB. 6, 1665. / ERECTED BY / SIR WALTER RALEIGH CHAPTER, / DAUGHTERS OF THE REVOLUTION, / JUNE 11, 1910.
Hall’s Creek Church
June 11, 1910
36.219620 , -76.274750 View in Geobrowse
Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the General Society, Daughters of the Revolution (Englewood Press: Englewood, NJ, 1909), 51 Link
Albertson, Catherine Seyton. In Ancient Albemarle (NC: General Society of the Daughters of the Revolution, 1914) Link
Towles, Louis P. 2006. “Grand Assembly of Albemarle,” NCPedia.org, (accessed June 13, 2017) Link
“Interesting Ceremonies,” The Charlotte Observer (Charlotte, NC), June 14, 1910
“Tablet Unveiled at Hall’s Creek,” Tar Heel (Elizabeth City, NC), June 17, 1910
Sir Walter Raleigh Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution
The dedication service was held in the sanctuary of Hall’s Creek Church. Former NC Lt. Governor Francis D. Winston was the featured speaker of the day. After Winston’s speech and a benediction those in attendance proceeded to the marker which was draped in an American flag. Four young girls dressed in white then pulled cords to unveil the marker. Cheers greeted the “impressive scene and patriotic songs arose spontaneously...”
The marker is located at the site of the first meeting of the Grand Assembly of Albemarle, the legislative body formed by North Carolina's first governor, William Drummond (1663-67). The body’s purpose was to assist in the drafting of temporary laws while acting within the guidelines of the Concessions and Agreement pact (1665) between the colony’s Lords Proprietors and existing settlers.
The church and marker are located near the 800 block of Halls Creek Road near Elizabeth City, NC.
The marker stands in a wooded area next to the unpaved circular drive in front of Hall’s Creek Church.